Accident on Raley Boulevard On-Ramp Causes Pedestrian Fatality
A pedestrian fatality occurred on November 18 in Sacramento during the late-night hours when the individual was struck by a motor vehicle on an on-ramp. The accident was discovered at around 2:00 in the morning at the Raley Boulevard on-ramp to Interstate 80. Authorities with the California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that weather was probably a factor in the accident.
Highway Ramp Closed for Hours Due to Pedestrian Fatality
The on-ramp was closed for hours while the CHP investigated the pedestrian fatality. The vehicle’s driver stayed at the accident scene and was cooperative with authorities. The identity of the pedestrian has not been released pending notification of the family.
Dangers of Driving in Inclement Weather
It is important that drivers modify their driving habits during inclement weather to avoid accidents. Some suggestions that may be helpful include:
- Use your headlights, even during the day. This helps other motorists see you and aids in spotting walkers, which can help avoid causing a pedestrian fatality.
- Allow longer to reach your destination. Weather events can lead to slowdowns in traffic, take longer, and cause stress.
- Slow down. Because rainy or other inclement weather can affect a vehicle’s ability to stop more quickly, slowing down is important. Keep well back from other vehicles to avoid a rear-end collision or pedestrian fatality.
- Ensure your windshield, windows, and head and tail lights are clean. This improves your ability to see and allows others to see you, including those who are walking to their destination.
- Check that windshield wipers are in good working order. If necessary, add windshield wiper fluid.
- Be cautious around standing water. Hydroplaning is a real danger when driving through water and can lead to an accident, including a pedestrian fatality.
The Loss of a Loved One
Experiencing the loss of a family member is difficult at any time. When it happens suddenly, such as a wrongful death, the family is in shock and finds it difficult to accept that loss. If the fatality was caused by a negligent motorist or for another reason, the family may be able to place a claim for compensation for that loss with the help of an injury lawyer. Of course, it does not help with the grief and sense of loss the family is feeling. However, it does help them avoid the financial damage caused by their loved one’s demise.
Helping Those Who Are Grieving
When a death in a family occurs, there are many who want to be supportive and express their sympathy but don’t always know how. Some of the following suggestions might help:
- It’s always been traditional to send a sympathy card or flowers to those who are grieving the loss of a loved one. In later times, some families prefer that you send a donation in the deceased person’s name to a favorite charity of theirs.
- Send food that is prepared at home or ordered to be delivered. During the few days before and just after the funeral and burial service, someone in grief is likely to be consumed by it and not think of eating. This is a time when they need their strength, so having something already prepared in the home is helpful.
- Offer to pitch in and help around the house. Whether it is just washing dishes, vacuuming, or mowing the lawn, it will be appreciated.
- Offer to run errands or take the grieving person to the pharmacy, grocery store, etc. This is especially important if the surviving spouse is now alone in the home.
- Offer to accompany a grieving person to make the funeral and burial arrangements.
- Remember that grief does not stop and may go on for quite some time. Keep in touch and remain helpful after the services are over.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Sacramento
My name is Ed Smith, and I am a personal injury lawyer in Sacramento. Losing a loved one is a terrible experience any time but more so when the death is sudden and unexpected. A wrongful death claim may be placed if the death was due to negligence by a motorist or other entity. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or from long-distance at (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. You can also message me by using the online contact form.
The following pages have helpful information about my law firm:
I’ve helped Sacramentans and others from Northern California since 1982 in obtaining the compensation they deserve for wrongful death claims, all kinds of traffic collisions, and traumatic injuries they have suffered.
I’m a California member of the following groups, among others:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/hands-open-candle-candlelight-1926414/
:cd llo [cs 790]