Accident at Richards Boulevard Intersection Causes Pedestrian Fatality
A pedestrian fatality occurred in Sacramento on December 21 near downtown after being struck by a vehicle. The collision occurred near the intersection of Richards Boulevard and Sequoia Pacific, according to the report issued by the Sacramento Police Department. Although first responders with the Sacramento Fire Department transported the pedestrian to a hospital, the walker was declared dead there.
Investigation Underway to Determine Cause of Pedestrian Fatality
The vehicle’s driver that hit the pedestrian stayed at the scene and cooperated with the police investigation. The roadway remained closed for some time as the investigation was conducted. Investigators with the Sacramento police are determining how the pedestrian fatality accident occurred and will assign fault when it has been determined.
Losing a Loved One in a Pedestrian Accident
It is difficult for any family to lose a loved one suddenly, but when it happens due to an accident, they not only feel grief but are shocked, confused and angry that something like this could happen. When a negligent driver was the cause, that just makes it worse.
Because of the hectic schedule of arranging for a funeral and burial, the family often doesn’t consider the toll the loss of that loved one has on their lives, especially if the person who died contributed to the household income.
Negligence as the Cause of a Pedestrian Fatality Accident
When a negligent driver caused the death of a family member, they may wish to find out about filing a wrongful death claim. Doing so will not ease their grief, but it can hold the person who committed the act responsible and help the family avoid the financial stress caused by that loss. Those who file a wrongful death claim may recover the following:
- The cost of the funeral and burial can be recovered.
- Wages earned by the decedent are recoverable up to the normal age of retirement, which also includes insurance, pension benefits and bonuses.
- Loss of inheritance is recoverable, which is the amount beneficiaries would have expected to receive upon the decedent’s death.
- Children in the family who were supported by the decedent by at least 50 percent can place a claim for loss of nurturing and guidance. This includes natural or adopted children as well as step-children.
- The surviving spouse can place a claim for the loss of consortium and emotional support the decedent provided.
- The value of household services provided by the decedent may be recovered. These are tasks the individual normally performed around the house, such as tax preparation, childcare, and mowing the lawn.
How a Law Firm Can Help
At our law firm, we send an investigative team to the site of the crash. They look for evidence of liability, without which the case can not proceed. The investigators perform accident reconstruction techniques to determine liability and obtain digital footage of the crash from surveillance cameras. They also interview witnesses and review police reports for mistakes. Once all the data is gathered, the information is sent to our legal team to build a strong case for our clients.
Sacramento Wrongful Death Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Sacramento wrongful death lawyer. When a negligent driver caused the death of your loved one, you are welcome to phone us for free and friendly advice on whether you can file a claim. Call us at (916) 921-6400 or from a long distance at (800) 404-5400. You can also contact us online if you prefer.
It is an honor for us to belong to:
My team of injury lawyers and I have helped many people since 1982 in getting the compensation they deserve in wrongful deaths and all other kinds of traffic collisions.
Find out how we have helped others by clicking on the links that follow:
:cd llo