Pedestrian Dies on Interstate 5 After Being Hit by Multiple Vehicles
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento pedestrian accident lawyer. An accident in Sacramento along Interstate 5 on October 16 claimed the life of a pedestrian as he attempted to cross the highway and was struck by multiple vehicles. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) is encouraging anyone who knows anything regarding this tragic fatality to call.
The incident occurred shortly after 10:30 in the evening when a man, who remains unidentified at the time of this report, was attempting to cross I-5 northbound near Richards Boulevard. At that point, he was struck by a man from Carmichael, 41, who was driving an older Buick. Although the Buick driver stopped at the median in the center, the man who had been struck was hit again two more times by passing vehicles. The driver of the Buick was uninjured in the incident.
Pedestrian Accidents on the Rise
Statistics by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that 5,376 pedestrians lost their lives, and an additional 70,000 pedestrians were injured in 2015 as a result of a traffic accident. This represented an increase of 9.5 percent over the pedestrian fatalities reported in 2014. Seventy-two percent of the pedestrian fatalities occurred at non-intersections, and 74 percent happened after dark. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, almost half of pedestrian fatalities in 2015 involved the use of alcohol, either on the part of the walker or on the part of the driver. In Sacramento in 2014, the latest year for statistics from the California Office of Traffic Safety, 193 pedestrians were struck and either injured or died that year in traffic collisions. There were 440 pedestrians either killed or injured in traffic collisions in the county in 2014.
Tips for Pedestrians
- Only cross the street using marked crosswalks.
- Look both ways before crossing, even if the walk light is on.
- Obey crossing signals. Never cross when the sign says “Do Not Walk.”
- Keep an eye out for traffic or turning vehicles, even if a turn is not allowed.
- Don’t assume motor vehicles can see you.
- If it is dark outside, wear bright or reflective clothing.
- Don’t try to judge the speed of an approaching vehicle and think you can cross before it reaches you.
- If there is no sidewalk and you are forced to walk in the street, take a different route if possible. If not, walk facing the traffic.
Pedestrian Injuries From a Motor Vehicle Collision
Because pedestrians lack any type of protective barrier against a collision with a motor vehicle, serious injuries can occur as a result of an accident. These may include traumatic brain injury and spinal cord damage to broken bones, lacerations and post-traumatic stress disorder, where the victim suffers stress, anxiety and other psychological and emotional effects. Speaking to a seasoned injury lawyer versed in pedestrian accidents can help you or your injured family member understand your rights and help you obtain fair compensation to cover the financial damages. A Sacramento pedestrian accident lawyer can also explain whether a claim for wrongful death can be filed if someone has passed away as a result of an accident.
Tips for Motorists
Motorists can help reduce the number of car accidents with pedestrians by paying attention to a few tips.
- Always be alert to pedestrians when driving.
- Don’t assume you can judge what a pedestrian is going to do.
- Obey traffic laws, including signs and lights.
- Speeding interferes with a driver’s ability to stop a vehicle. Don’t do it.
- Look for pedestrians in a crosswalk before proceeding.
- Use extra caution where people gather such as at schools, churches or movie theaters.
- Yield to pedestrians, even if they are not crossing in a crosswalk.
- Avoid drinking and driving. It slows reaction time
Sacramento Pedestrian Accident & Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento pedestrian accident lawyer. If a driver who was careless injured you or your loved one, call me at (916) 921-6400 for my friendly, free advice about your case. Long distance callers can use my line at (800) 404-5400.
For feedback from our previous clients, please visit Google Plus, Avvo and Yelp. You are also welcome to look over settlements and verdicts for information about some of our cases on my website, autoaccident.com.
As an experienced accident lawyer in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, I represent a group of trial attorneys nationwide who have won settlements or verdicts of $1 million or over for clients.
I have been honored for 35 years to have represented many cases involving wrongful death or traumatic injuries in Northern California, including Sacramento, working hard to obtain fair compensation for them.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/highway-travel-drive-autos-traffic-2228541/
:cd bw [cs 803] cv