Pedestrian Collision Caused Major Injuries in Antelope
A pedestrian collision with a motor vehicle occurred on November 1 in Antelope, which resulted in a major injury to the walker. The accident happened around 2:18 in the afternoon, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), at northbound Antelope Road near the intersection with Ridgepoint Drive. The driver was in a dark gray Saturn SUV and struck the pedestrian, who was in a parking lot changing a tire. Emergency responders arrived to assess the injured pedestrian, and it was determined that a major injury to the walker had occurred. The CHP is in charge of determining how the accident happened and to assign fault in the incident.
Pedestrian Accidents in Sacramento County
There were 644 pedestrian accidents in 2016, resulting in injuries and fatalities, according to the California Office of Traffic Safety. Fifty-seven were involved in fatal accidents in 2018, according to a recent study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In part, these high numbers may reflect the increase in traffic and in those who are walking or riding bicycles around the county. Although a number of programs have been instituted by the government to help motorists be more cognizant of pedestrians and others and to educate walkers themselves on the dangers, so far, it does not seem to have had much impact.
How Motorists Contribute to Pedestrian Accidents
Motorists are responsible for the majority of pedestrian accidents, although walkers themselves may be to blame for some. Negligence is the cause of a majority of these accidents, which includes:
- Distracted driving causes many types of traffic collisions each year and not only to pedestrians. Negligence by distracted driving includes talking on a mobile phone or texting, chatting with passengers and eating or drinking while behind the wheel of a car.
- Speeding is a major problem and contributes to pedestrian fatalities. It has been shown that the faster a vehicle is traveling, the higher the rate of pedestrian fatalities.
- Running a red light or stop sign is a common cause of pedestrian accidents. Lack of regard for traffic laws endangers everyone who shares the road with a negligent driver.
- Fatigued driving results when a motorist is too tired to be behind the wheel of a car or falls asleep. This can occur because of late nights, shift work or other factors. A sleepy driver may not notice that a pedestrian is crossing the street until it is too late.
- Drunk or drugged drivers are responsible for many accidents each year, including with pedestrians.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Helps
It is the job of a personal injury lawyer to prove negligence by the at-fault party and to help an injured person or grieving family obtain the compensation they deserve. Otherwise, the financial losses can be devastating when you add up all the medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering experienced by the injured person. The lawyer begins by sending out investigators to the crash site. They will review the police report to look for errors and will talk to witnesses. In addition, accident reconstruction may be performed, and the investigators will look for video footage from traffic cameras and nearby businesses. In addition to that, in a pedestrian accident, they will check that lights were functioning correctly and that the government entity in charge of maintaining the intersection was doing its job.
Antelope Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Antelope personal injury lawyer. If you or a family member was injured by a negligent motorist, call me for my free and friendly advice at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404 5400. I can also be reached online at AutoAccident.com.
Find out more about my law practice by visiting:
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_109582940_l-2015
:cd llo [cs 673]