Vehicle on Raley Boulevard Strikes and Injures Pedestrian
A pedestrian accident involving a motor vehicle happened in North Sacramento on February 16 that sent the walker to the hospital. The accident happened around 8:00 p.m. on Raley Boulevard close to Bell Avenue, according to authorities with the Sacramento Police Department. First responders with the Sacramento Fire Department arrived at the accident scene to evaluate injuries to the pedestrian.
Injured Pedestrian Transported to Hospital
They transported the patient to a hospital; however, no word has been released yet on the pedestrian’s condition. Police reported that the driver of the vehicle remained at the scene of the pedestrian accident, and DUI is not suspected as a factor in the crash. Authorities are investigating the accident to determine how it happened.
Pedestrian accidents can cause devastating injuries. This is because a walker lacks the shield afforded to motorists. The force of impact is directly related to the speed of the vehicle. For instance, if a vehicle is traveling at roughly 10 miles per hour, the impact will not cause significant injury. However, if the vehicle is traveling at 40 mph, the chance of significant injury and or death is increased.
Injuries in a Pedestrian Accident
Approximately 60,000 pedestrians are injured each year in an accident with a motor vehicle. Different types of injuries occur in a pedestrian accident. The most common are:
- Fractures: There are different types of fractures some of which heal after casting and others that require surgical implantation of pins to effect heaping. Depending on the type of fracture, the injured party may be out of work for a significant period of time. This can result in financial difficulties and requires the insight of an injury attorney to obtain damages. Fractures of the lower extremities are most common in pedestrian accidents.
- Upper body injuries: While less than injury to the lower extremities, upper body injuries are quite common. This often happens when the pedestrian is thrown into the windshield due to the impact of the crash. Roughly 38% of pedestrians are injured in this way. This can include damage to the face, neck, and head.
- Head injuries: Injury to the head occurs less frequently than the others but can be devastating when it happens. This type of injury can easily cause life-threatening damage and require significant periods of hospitalization and medical care. In addition, the cost can escalate due to time in the hospital, home care expenses, and lengthy rehabilitation.
Preventing Pedestrian Accidents
There are several things that pedestrians and motorists can do to prevent pedestrian accidents:
- Crosswalks: Pedestrians are urged to use crosswalks when crossing the street. That is because the crosswalk is outfitted with elements that warn motorists to stop.
- Maintaining visibility: It is important for pedestrians to do everything they can to be visible to motors. This can include carrying a flashlight, wearing reflective clothing, and light-colored clothes.
- Providing the right of way: Motorists are always obligated to give pedestrians the right of way. Failing to do this almost always results in pedestrian accidents.
- Speeding: Driving faster than the speed limit can lead to a pedestrian accident. It is often impossible for the pedestrian to move out of the way in time to avoid injury.
Investigating a Pedestrian Accident
Proving fault is a necessary element of successfully resolving a case. At our firm, we send our investigators out as soon as possible to review the accident. Once they arrive at the scene, they begin to question witnesses and obtain visual evidence of the crash such as that found in traffic surveillance tapes and from cameras on nearby businesses.
Our investigative team also performs accident reconstruction to determine liability and to see the placement of the vehicles before, during, and after the accident. They also review police reports for mistakes since these are widely used when negotiating with insurance companies and in civil court.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Sacramento
Discover more about my law firm below:
It is a real honor for me to belong to:
Attributed photo: https://www.pexels.com/photo/ambulance-architecture-building-business-263402/
:cd llo [cs 757]