Pedestrian Accident at Madison Avenue Intersection Causes Major Injury
A major injury pedestrian accident was reported in North Highlands on May 17. The pedestrian was struck by a motor vehicle around 9:22 p.m. at the intersection of Madison Avenue and Jackson Street. The intersection was blocked by the accident, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP) report, and Sacramento Fire Department medics were called to the scene.
Pedestrian Taken to Hospital With Major Injury
Medics determined the pedestrian had suffered a major injury, and that person was transported to a hospital. The CHP is investigating the incident to determine how the accident happened and assign fault.
Reasons for a Pedestrian Accident
Accidents involving pedestrians have increased in recent years. Several common reasons account for this increase caused by negligent drivers include:
- It is common for pedestrians to be injured as a result of speeding. People on foot are much harder to avoid hitting when a driver has trouble stopping due to speed. Worse injuries to a pedestrian are more likely to occur when the vehicle is moving fast.
- More SUVs and trucks are on the road, making pedestrians less visible to drivers, leading to more deaths.
- In many pedestrian accidents, drunk driving is a contributing factor. Impaired drivers have trouble controlling their vehicles and lose their cognitive ability.
- There are now more accidents caused by distracted driving than ever before. In this situation, the driver may use a cell phone, text, change the radio or speak with passengers.
- An accident can also occur when a driver negligently turns left without checking for people on foot first. Injuries to pedestrians are more common when drivers make left turns.
Accident Liability When Pedestrians are Injured
Negligence is the basis for liability. Those who fail to honor their duty of care towards others, including pedestrians and other motorists, and cause an injury are considered negligent. Liability for an accident must be proven by the injured party to show that negligence caused the accident.
Common Types of Pedestrian Injuries in an Accident
The following are common injuries that occur in an accident:
- Brain and head injuries can have devastating effects on a person’s life. In some cases (concussions), the symptoms resolve faster than in others. Surgery may be required for traumatic brain injuries such as hematomas.
- Cervical sprain or strain: A cervical strain or sprain, or whiplash, is a soft tissue injury. Neck, head and upper back pain can result from a cervical sprain for months or years.
- Broken bones: An accident with someone on foot is likely to result in broken bones. They can be simple breaks as well as compound fractures. When the bone punctures the skin, it is called a compound fracture. In most cases, emergency surgery is required.
Pedestrian Accident Investigation
An accident that injures a pedestrian must be investigated to be resolved. Our investigators travel to the crash site to gather evidence of negligence. Investigating the accident scene involves finding clues about what caused it and how it occurred. Investigating the incident involves speaking with witnesses, obtaining real-time videos and reconstructing the accident. After our investigative team gathers all the information, they pass it along to our lawyers, who use it to build a strong case.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith. I am a personal injury lawyer in Sacramento. If someone has injured you as a result of their negligence, we can help you recover compensation. Get free and friendly advice from our accident attorneys by calling (800) 404-5400 or (916) 921-6400. In addition, we can be contacted online.
The following are some of the organizations that we are proud members of:
Visit the following pages to find out more about our practice and how our firm’s injury lawyers have helped others:
:cd llo