North Highlands Truck Accident
A North Highlands truck accident happened on February 19 when a big rig and compact car collided at Walerga Road and Larchmont Drive. The collision occurred at around 4:14 in the afternoon between a Chevy Express truck and a Ford Focus, according to the report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). One of the vehicles was blocking Larchmont Drive and impeding through traffic. Emergency responders with the Sacramento Fire Department arrived on the scene to assess reported injuries. A tow truck was called to take away at least one of the vehicles. It has not been reported whether alcohol or drugs played a part in the North Highlands truck accident.
Reasons Truck Crashes Happen
Big trucks can often cause significant injuries. Because trucks are much larger and heavier than motor vehicles, the driver must exercise caution to avoid a collision because of the risk to others. Some of the ways that a truck driver or company that employs that person can be negligent include:
- Speeding: Some companies have unrealistic expectations on the amount of time it takes for a truck driver to reach his or her destination. This can cause the driver to speed. In addition, a driver may choose to speed to reach the destination faster so they can pick up another load.
- Inadequate surveillance: A driver who does not look carefully for pedestrians, vehicles in their blind spots or merging traffic can cause a North Highlands truck accident.
- Inadequate training: Training is important when employing a driver because a big truck handles differently than a motor vehicle. It requires more space and a longer stopping distance. A poorly trained driver may go down hills too fast and lose control or employ the wrong brake when slowing or stopping. This can result in a jackknife accident or rollover.
- Improperly loaded cargo: This common cause of truck accidents happens when the cargo isn’t balanced inside the trailer. This can cause the trailer to topple over. Liquid loads such as milk or fertilizers can slosh inside the tank and cause the vehicle to become unbalanced. Loads carried on flatbeds that are improperly secured can come loose and fall on the highway.
- Tailgating: Tailgating is dangerous for any vehicle but even more so for a truck. If the vehicle in front stops suddenly, it can result in an override accident. These types of collisions often result in fatalities.
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers can be distracted while driving the same as other motorists. Texting and talking on a cell phone are the major causes of distracted driving.
Compensation in a North Highlands Truck Accident
Getting in touch with a personal injury lawyer following an accident is a positive move when your injuries were caused by negligence. The attorney can help by looking for inaccuracies in the police report, talking to witnesses, and when necessary, performing accident reconstruction to prove your case. A lawyer will work hard to help you recover the personal injury damages you need and deserve to pay your medical bills, lost wages and other expenses.
North Highlands Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a North Highlands car accident lawyer. Being involved in a North Highlands truck accident can result in serious injuries that in turn lead to high medical bills, lost wages, and other costs. If the truck driver or company that person works for was negligent, the injured person may place a claim for fair compensation. For my free and friendly advice, I can be reached at (916) 921-6400. If you are phoning from elsewhere in Northern California, I offer a toll-free number at (800) 404-5400, or you can contact me at my website by using the online form.
Million Dollar Advocates is a group for trial attorneys who’ve won in excess of $1 million for a client. I am proud to be a California member of this forum. In addition, I belong to the National Association of Distinguished Counsel, which is by invitation only to fewer than 1 percent of lawyers nationwide. The lawyers who are invited to join are recognized as having a high standard with regard to legal excellence.
Searching for information about a law practice is a good idea before calling. In that way, you will know whether the firm is a good fit and able to handle your case. This is why I have included links to reviews and comments left by my clients as well as a list of some of the cases we have handled and how they concluded at:
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_14120823_l-2015
:cd llo [cs 792]