Bicycle Accident Injury Reported on Bayou Way
A bicycle accident involving a motor vehicle was reported in Natomas on September 9 that resulted in injuries. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) responded to the accident call around 6:44 a.m. along Bayou Way just west of Power Line Road. First responders with the Natomas Fire Protection District responded to the call and transported the injured bicyclist to a nearby hospital.
Authorities Investigating Cause of Bicycle Accident
No information was provided on the motor vehicle that struck the rider. The CHP is carrying out an investigation to determine liability in the bicycle accident and how it occurred.
Negligent Drivers and Bicycle Collisions
Bicycle riders are more vulnerable to being hit by negligent drivers due to their less visible nature. The likelihood that you will have to seek compensation for a serious injury may be high if you require a long recovery period. Driver negligence causes these accidents for a variety of reasons, including:
- Distracted driving: Bicycle accidents are often caused by driver distraction. A distracted driver can injure a cyclist seriously if he or she texts, talks on the phone, or does anything else that diverts their attention.
- Speed: Drivers who are speeding may need to slow down over a longer distance in an emergency situation, which increases the likelihood of striking a bicyclist. The possibility of serious injuries and even death is higher in pedestrian and bicycle accidents caused by speeders.
- Running a red light: At intersections, cyclists often suffer accidents as a result of drivers passing a stop sign or a red light without stopping.
- Impaired driving: Drinking or using drugs while driving may cause impairment in distance judgment, difficulty tracking the eyes, or slowed reflexes. Bicycle accidents are often caused by impaired drivers.
- Right turns in the bicycle lane: Many motorists make right turns in the bicycle lane in an unsafe manner. Bicyclists are vulnerable to injury if drivers turn without checking first that the bike lane is empty.
- Crosswalks: It is still important for drivers to be cautious when passing through crosswalks, even if their lights are green. Bicyclists must be cautious whenever they are walking their bikes through crosswalks.
After a Bicycle Accident, an Attorney Can Help
A bicycle accident caused by a negligent driver may give you grounds to file a claim for damages. This type of case has been handled by us many times. You can contact us if you have any questions following a bicycle accident injury, and we can help you evaluate your case and discuss your options for compensation.
Accident Investigations Involving Bicycles
When an investigation is conducted, evidence may be uncovered that could assist in proving the client’s financial compensation claim. Our investigators head to the bicycle accident scene right away to talk to the witnesses and ensure the accuracy of the police report. They also gather other evidence, such as traffic camera footage, and signs that the three-foot distance rule was violated.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Natomas
I’m Ed Smith, a Natomas personal injury lawyer. Bicycle injuries in a collision with a motor vehicle can be serious and result in hospitalization and high medical bills, as well as the inability to work. If this happened to you, call us for free, friendly advice from our accident attorneys if you would like information about filing a compensation claim. We can be reached either at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404-5400. You can also message us online.
We are honored to belong to the groups that follow:
Find out how others have been helped by our injury lawyers below:
:cd llo