Multiple Vehicle Crash on Interstate 80
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento auto accident attorney. A multiple vehicle crash happened along eastbound Interstate 80 in North Sacramento on May 3. Since the accident occurred in the middle lane, traffic was blocked for a time while authorities investigated the cause of the crash, and the vehicles were removed from the scene. One driver was reported as injured, and an ambulance was called to assist in evaluating the person’s condition.
The accident, according to a California Highway Patrol (CHP) report, occurred along the interstate just east of Norwood Avenue. It involved a Honda CRV, Mazda, Buick sedan and GMC Safari. The collision happened a little before 6:30 in the evening during rush hour. No information has been released about the cause of the accident or extent of injuries.
Rush Hour Collisions
Twenty-five percent of all accidents happen during rush hour. Because of heavy congestion and slow-moving traffic, vehicles are moving near one another. This stressful circumstance can shorten tempers and can increase the risk of a car accident. Remaining alert while driving during rush hour can boost the likelihood that you and your loved ones will make it to your destination safely. Following are a few ways to stay cool and collected while in rush hour traffic:
- Map out some alternate routes: While driving on the freeway can be faster if the traffic pattern keeps flowing, you can spend endless time waiting if it isn’t. In areas that tend to bottleneck or if construction is going on, plan other ways to get you to your destination. While it may take a few more minutes to reach where you are going, you can arrive there safely, and an accident that can result in serious injuries isn’t worth the risk.
- Everyone else is stressed too: Remember that others have places they need to get to also. If a driver is exhibiting aggressive behavior near you on the road, change to another lane to avoid that person.
- Allow extra time: It is much less stressful to drive on a crowded road if you have allowed plenty of time to get there.
- Think before reacting: Frustration and anger can build up when your vehicle is crawling along mile after mile. If you can’t get off the road and take an alternate route, try to remain calm.
- Join a carpool: Having company while traveling with others who can share the driving can reduce the stress. It also gives you permission to use the HOV lanes, which tend to have less traffic.
Driving Safely in Rush Hour Traffic
There are certain things that a driver can do to increase their safety from common varieties of accidents while driving on the freeway during rush hour. These include:
- Perform regular maintenance on your vehicle: Bad tires or brakes contribute to accidents by reducing the ability to stop quickly in an emergency. Underinflated or bald tires can cause a blowout, creating a serious situation on the road.
- Keep an appropriate length away from the vehicle in front of you. While it might be tempting to move closer, if the vehicle in front has to make an emergency stop, you need to be able to slow your car down to avoid a rear-end collision.
- Avoid distracted driving: Because vehicles are close together and moving at high speeds during rush hour, paying close attention to what is going around you is crucial. Avoid chatting on your cell phone, fiddling with the dials on your dashboard and other activities that take your eyes off the road.
- Be prepared: If it’s sunny, remember to bring your sunglasses. Clean and adjust the mirrors in your vehicle, and check headlights and taillights to make sure they are operating correctly.
- Be polite to other drivers: Watch out for vehicles in your blind spots before changing lanes, use turn signals and don’t cut anyone off.
Sacramento Auto Accident Attorneys
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento auto accident attorney. If you were injured in an accident caused by negligence, a seasoned injury lawyer can help get you the compensation you deserve. Call me today for friendly and free advice at (916) 921-6400 or on my toll-free line at (800) 404-5400.
It has been my honor to have helped the citizens of Sacramento and Northern California for more than 36 years with their wrongful death claims and personal injury cases.
Visit Settlements and Verdicts to read about some of our previous cases.
As a Million Dollar Forum member, I belong to a legal group of those who have won trial verdicts and case settlements in excess of one million dollars for a past client.
See what others have said about my work as an injury lawyer at:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/traffic-rush-hour-rush-hour-urban-843309/
:cd bw [cs 829] cv