Multiple Vehicle Collision in Sacramento Intersection
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. One person was injured in a multiple-vehicle accident at an intersection in Sacramento on April 5, 2018. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported the collision just before 8:00 in the morning along East Parkway and Florin Road near Southgate Plaza. The crash involved a brown Toyota, a white Honda Civic, and a black Ford Ranger. An ambulance was called to take one person to a near by hospital for medical treatment.
Intersection Accidents in Sacramento
The area around Florin Road is busy with fast food restaurants and shopping outlets. Even with a traffic light on East Parkway, accidents happen. It is essential to understand why crashes occur in intersections and what can be done to avoid them.
Intersection Accidents at Stop Lights
In California, Vehicle Code 21452 (a) says that a yellow light on a traffic signal means that that the driver should use caution and that the light will be turning red very soon. VC 21453 states that once the light is red, the driver should stop. This confuses some drivers, who continue through an intersection just as a light turns red. Other motorists pay little attention to a red light or are distracted by something in the vehicle and are confident the light is still green. In each scenario, it is easy to see how motorists on the cross streets assume the car will stop only to be hit.
Why Do Intersection Accidents Happen?
About 43 percent of all accidents happen at intersections nationwide, and the types of accidents that occur are common. Some intersections are the crossroads between two streets, and others have six roads converging. The more complex the intersection, the higher the chance of an intersection accident.
Most Common Types of Intersection Accidents
The most common types are:
- Rear-end collisions: This type of accident occurs most often because the driver behind a vehicle does not realize the lead vehicle has stopped. This is usually due to distracted driving.
- Oncoming vehicle collisions: Such collisions are more likely when one of the vehicles is turning.
- Side-swipe accidents: When two vehicles are both turning, this type of accident is common.
- Striking a pedestrian or cyclist: This happens when the driver is not looking to see if someone is crossing the intersection. Since many drivers are looking to see if other vehicles are in their way, they fail to watch for pedestrians or cyclists. Also, bikers and walkers may be crossing against traffic signals, complicating the possibilities for a crash.
How Can You Avoid an Intersection Accident?
There are things a motorist and pedestrians/cyclists can do to avoid accidents:
- Don’t cross an intersection when the yellow light stops blinking.
- Don’t move into the intersection if a line of vehicles ahead of you is already waiting to turn.
- Don’t change lanes without signaling, or do it only to get ahead.
- Remember to keep a proper distance between your vehicle and the car or truck in front of you.
- Watch to see if the vehicle in front of you is braking or might be braking.
- Be aware that a braking vehicle in front of you may be stopping because a pedestrian is in the intersection. If you change lanes suddenly, you might hit the pedestrian yourself.
- Check all cross streets to see if pedestrians or cyclists are in the crosswalk or entering it.
- Don’t speed or drive recklessly through an intersection.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. Intersections are dangerous places. If you or a loved one has been hurt in an intersection accident, look to an experienced lawyer who can evaluate your case to provide you with options. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. I will give free, friendly advice. You can contact me online too.
I’ve won verdicts and negotiated settlements of over 1 million dollars for clients. That is why I was asked to be a member of the Million Dollar Advocates, an honor I am proud of receiving. You can go to my settlements and verdicts page to see the resolutions of previous cases.
Check out comments and reviews of my firm by previous clients on:
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/automotive-cars-expressway-guardrail-172074/
:cd cha [cs 724] cv