Interstate 80 Big Rig Accidents Cause Backups
Several big rig accidents were reported on westbound Interstate 80 on January 31, causing traffic slowdowns. The first occurred in a big rig jackknife crash in Richmond when the tractor-trailer struck an embankment. The accident caused a fuel spill on the westbound side of the freeway near Solano Avenue at about 5:00 a.m.
Fuel Spill Contained by Fire Crews
The spilled fuel leaked into a storm drain before the arrival of fire crews, however, it was diverted and contained. The on-ramp was closed due to the accident, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP). No injuries occurred to the driver, and no other vehicles were involved.
Vacaville Big Rig Crash Involves Multiple Vehicles
The second collision occurred in Vacaville on I-80 westbound near Cherry Glen Road and involved a big rig and seven other vehicles. Two lanes remained open. However, the backup due to the crash ended up closing all the lanes except for one, and a huge backup occurred. The tractor-trailer was reported to have been transporting multiple moving pods with a weight of 13,000 pounds. In addition, a motorcycle and car crashed together due to the initial accident. No injuries were reported in either collision.
Truck Driver Negligence as a Cause of an Accident
The majority of produce and merchandise delivered around California is handled by truck drivers in those big rigs. Big rig accidents can occur due to negligence in the following ways:
- Speeding truck drivers can cause big rig accidents. An accident can occur because a big rig is much heavier than a smaller vehicle, making it more difficult for the driver to stop in an emergency.
- An accident can occur due to faulty brakes and lead to jackknifing.
- Approximately 40 percent of accidents involving semis are caused by brake problems in big rigs. Furthermore, brake failure prevents drivers from slowing or stopping, which is why runaway truck ramps are built.
- Fatigued driving can lead to big rig accidents as truckers nod off. When they are pressed for time, they can cheat and end up dozing off or losing their concentration behind the wheel, which can lead to a crash.
- Big rigs and smaller vehicles can be involved in dangerous accidents because of poor road maintenance by the government agency in charge. An injured party may file a claim against the government entity if maintenance was lacking at the time of the accident. A government entity’s six-month deadline makes it prudent to have an injury lawyer handle your claim and arbitrate it for you to receive maximum compensation.
California Truck Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a California truck accident lawyer. In the case of a truck driver’s negligence causing your injuries, you might be able to recover damages. Call (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice from our accident attorneys. You can also reach us online. You can schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with us either in person or virtually to discuss your case, learn about your compensation options, and ask any questions you may have.
It is an honor for us to be California members of the following groups:
Injury lawyers at our firm fight for the compensation of those who have been injured in big rig accidents caused by negligence. Discover how we have assisted some of them by clicking on the following links:
:cd llo [cs 594]