Multi-vehicle Collision in Citrus Heights
A multi-vehicle collision occurred in Citrus Heights on March 12, that involved six or seven vehicles and caused at least one injury. The accident happened shortly after 8:00 in the evening along Interstate 80 westbound, just west of the Antelope Road eastbound on-ramp. California Highway Patrol (CHP) officers arrived at the scene, which was described as blocking three out of four lanes. Debris was strewn across all lanes of the roadway from the collision. Although an ambulance was summoned to the accident site, no further information about the nature of the injury was given at the time of this report. In addition, tow trucks were required to remove at least some of the vehicles.
Frequency of Multiple Vehicle Accidents
Every year, almost 2 million multi-vehicle collisions occur. In 2014 alone, 10,484 people died in multiple vehicle crashes. Approximately 50 percent of the individuals who died were the drivers of the vehicles. Overall, the higher the number of impacts, the greater the risk for injury. Car manufacturers have increased the number of safety features to decrease the number of accidents and the harm that results once a crash occurs. The problem is that many of the features, such as airbags, are useful once. After they have deployed, airbags cannot protect the driver or the occupants if subsequent impacts occur.
Reasons Multivehicle Collisions Happen
When more than two vehicles are involved in an accident, the initial impact can push one vehicle into another, starting a chain reaction. This can cause the same vehicle to be hit multiple times, pushing the occupants about without the safety of airbags. Some of the reasons are:
- Impaired driving: Drivers whose cognitive abilities are impaired by legal or illegal drugs or alcohol are more likely to be involved in a multi-vehicle collision.
- Driving recklessly on slick roads: It is important to slow down when roads are wet or icy. By driving too fast for conditions, the likelihood of an accident is increased.
- Drowsy driving: About 6,000 people die each year due to drowsy driving. When someone nods off while operating a motor vehicle, the risk of swerving into an adjacent lane is high, causing a collision with other vehicles.
- Speeding: Speeding is a major cause of car accidents. It hampers the driver’s ability to stop in time and can lead to a multi-vehicle collision on a crowded roadway.
- Distracted driving: It only takes a few seconds to write a text, but it is enough to miss another vehicle slowing down. The impact can push the lead vehicle into another, starting a succession of crashes.
Injuries in Multiple Vehicle Accidents
- Brain and head injuries: These range from scalp lacerations to concussions and traumatic injury to the brain. Some are life-threatening and require surgery.
- Cervical sprain and strain: This results from the rapid movement of the head, neck and upper back after a crash, particularly when hit from the rear. In some cases, the symptoms do not appear immediately. The damage can resolve in months to years.
- Abdominal trauma: This type of injury can cause bleeding into the abdominal cavity due to organ injury. It is not always detected right away but can become life-threatening if not treated.
- Chest trauma: Without the benefit of an inflated airbag, the ribs, lungs, and heart can be injured. Air bags deflate after inflating and cannot be used again.
How a Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
Multi-vehicle collisions are complex, and recovering damages requires an experienced injury lawyer’s help. An attorney can investigate the crash site to determine why and how the crash occurred. The lawyer will talk to witnesses, review police reports and videos of the crash. These may be taken by other motorists, or the accident may be captured by cameras on traffic lights or on storefronts. The lawyer will also review medical reports to understand the types and extent of the injuries, their impact on the individual and future consequences they may involve. The lawyer may negotiate a just recovery with the insurance company or take the case to civil court.
Citrus Heights Car Accident Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Citrus Heights car accident lawyer. When you have been in a multi-vehicle collision, you need the insight an experienced lawyer can provide. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. You can also reach out to me online.
I belong to the Million Dollar Forum. This group is composed of attorneys who have obtained a settlement or a verdict of more than one million dollars for a client. I have also been honored by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel with membership for offering my clients the highest level of legal excellence.
You can learn about my practice by going to the following pages:
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_11765047_l-2015
:cd llo [cs 835]