Motorcycle Collision on Elkhorn Boulevard
A motorcycle collision occurred on May 30 just outside of Citrus Heights along eastbound Elkhorn Boulevard. The accident was reported at about 8:49 in the morning between a Pontiac sedan and a motorcycle. It occurred where Elkhorn Boulevard intersects with Diablo Drive northwest of Interstate 80. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) responded to the collision, and an ambulance was summoned to transport one person involved in the crash to a nearby hospital.
Motorcycles are commonly involved in collisions with other motorists. The majority of these accidents are caused by the driver of the motor vehicle. The rider of a motorcycle is offered much less protection compared to the driver of a motor vehicle. Because of this, bikers commonly suffer serious injuries and fatalities. The most common motorcycle collisions are due to the following:
- Left-hand turns: Around 42 percent of all motorcycle accidents happen when a vehicle turns left in front of the rider. A motorcycle accident injury of this type may happen at an intersection or when the motorist is trying to pass another vehicle. In many instances, the driver of the vehicle says they never saw the motorcycle rider. In other instances, the motorist may be trying to beat the motorcycle heading toward them, not realizing it is difficult to judge their speed.
- Stopping short: A motor vehicle that stops suddenly in front of a rider often causes a serious motorcycle collision. Because the cyclist does not have time to veer out of the way, the motorcycle strikes the back of the motorist’s vehicle. This can cause the rider to be ejected from his or her bike, causing serious trauma.
- Intersections: Motorists who speed or run a red light risk striking a motorcyclist, bicyclist, pedestrian, or other vehicles, which can cause catastrophic injuries.
- Road hazards: Road hazards that can lead to a motorcycle accident injury include pavement damage, objects left in the roadway, and poor design. The government entity responsible for the design and maintenance of a roadway can be held liable for accident injuries.
- Lane splitting accidents: In California, lane splitting is allowed for motorcycles. If the motorist sharing that lane makes a sudden maneuver or crowds the motorcyclist, it can easily cause an accident. In the worst case scenario, the rider may end up caught between the vehicles on either side. This can cause a motorcyclist accident injury that includes crushed limbs, spinal cord damage, or severe head injuries.
Watch the following video presented by Ed Smith discussing the use of helmets:
Ways to Prevent a Motorcycle Collision
There are things a motorcyclist can do to avoid a motorcycle collision:
- Make sure motorists will be able to see you. One of the best ways of doing this is to wear bright colored clothes in the daytime. Use your headlights even in the daylight. At night, use reflective tape to add to the head and tail lights.
- Wearing protective gear is another way of preventing injury. Wearing shorts and flip flops is not appropriate. Instead, wear long-sleeved shirts or jackets and pants. Choose a heavy material such as denim or leather. Boots protect your lower leg and foot. Heavy gloves are a good choice as is adequate eye protection.
- Wearing a helmet is mandatory in California. Choosing the right one can save your life and prevent brain trauma. Light colored helmets enhance visibility. Make sure to invest in one that has a full face mask and is Department of Transportation approved.
- Intersections are dangerous for bikers. Many motorcycle collisions happen when a motorist is turning left. Stay alert whenever you enter an intersection.
- Drinking is dangerous when riding a motorcycle. It is also illegal. Don’t drink when taking to the road.
- Take extra safety steps in bad weather.
- Motorcycle safety courses are an important part of avoiding a motorcycle collision. You can take online courses by going to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
Citrus Heights Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Citrus Heights motorcycle accident lawyer. Enlisting the aid of a lawyer if you suffered an injury in a motorcycle crash helps you obtain the compensation you deserve. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. You can reach me online too.
I am a member of the following organizations:
Learn about my practice by going to the pages listed below:
Photo Attribution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zq70jozTs; Depositphotos_187948540_l-2015
:cd llo [cs 765]