Merced County Major Injury Motorcycle Accident
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced personal injury attorney. Officials reported that an East Bay man was involved in a motorcycle accident in Merced County on the afternoon of Monday, April 2, 2018. Unfortunately, the man suffered serious injuries due to the collision.
We hope and pray for a speedy and full recovery for the motorcyclist that suffered significant harm in this tragic accident.
A 20-year-old Brentwood man was riding his 2004 Suzuki motorcycle southbound along Highway 59 at approximately 3:15 pm. A 2014 Freightliner PG&E truck hauling a utility trailer was also driving southbound on Highway 59 when the truck stopped to turn left onto Mission Avenue. Several vehicles came to a stop behind the large truck while the biker reportedly drifted onto the right shoulder and collided with the semi-truck as it was turning.
Nature of Injuries
Paramedics were needed at the scene to render immediate aid to the injured motorcycle rider. Upon arrival, the biker was medically evaluated and taken to the Doctors Medical Center in Modesto for treatment of major head injuries. Officials indicated that there were no other injuries reported.
What Caused the Accident?
Common injuries resulting from a motorcycle accident include:
- Bone Fracture: The severity of a bone fracture depends on factors such as location, type of wound, category or classification type, as well as the age and health of the individual. This medical condition can oftentimes require rehabilitation for weeks or even months.
- Cervical Sprain: A very common injury following a traffic collision and is oftentimes referred to as “whiplash”. This injury affects the cervical spine and can lead to problems in the future to the brain if adequate treatment is not received.
- Head Injury: Bikers are susceptible to suffering head trauma in a motorcycle accident as they have no exterior protection around them. Even though a biker is wearing a helmet at the time of a collision, they may still suffer a “closed head injury” and experience symptoms such as dizziness, memory loss, headaches and changes in personality.
- Road Rash: This injury is common in a motorcycle accident and can lead to permanent damage such as skin infection, irritation or surface nerve damage if not properly treated.
- Spinal Cord Injury: This injury involves trauma to the spinal column and ranges from a dislocated disc to destruction of the vertebrae. Those who suffer a spinal cord injury may sometimes undergo partial or complete paralysis.
Injuries suffered as a result of motorcycle accidents can be serious and life-changing, especially when compounded by mounting medical bills. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident where negligence was a factor, the responsible party can be held liable for resulting damages through a personal injury claim. Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer in Merced for more details.
Avoiding Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to sustaining serious injuries in a collision with a motor vehicle due to their lack of protection. Therefore, it is important for a motorist to be aware of a biker on the road and exercise due care. Be sure to check your blind spots twice prior to switching lanes and never attempt to cut off a motorcyclist. Scanning the roadways and using your mirrors can also assist you in being more aware of motorcycle riders. Driving defensively is crucial in avoiding accidents and ensuring your well-being.
Related Content by Edward A Smith Law Offices:
- The Rights of Motorcycle Riders Involved in Motorcycle Accidents
- Pursuing a Claim After a Motorcycle Accident
Merced Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced personal injury lawyer. Motorcycle accidents have the potential to cause severe harm to those involved. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, please call me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
Reading reviews and/or comments by previous clients can assist you in searching for legal representation. You may read ours at:
The Million Dollar Advocates Forum allows membership to trial lawyers who have garnered verdicts or settlements totaling at least one million dollars for their clients. I belong to this forum as a member of California.
Please feel free to browse our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Image Credit: By “ElasticComputeFarm” via Pixabay
:ds [cs 757] cv