Merced County Accident Kills Pedestrian
Merced County Accident Kills Pedestrian — A pedestrian passed away after being struck by a vehicle in Merced County on October 9, 2018. The pedestrian accident occurred around 7:00 in the evening along H Street and Sixth Street in Los Banos. A man was walking in the area when he was hit by an oncoming 2010 Ford Fusion. Sadly, the man suffered fatal injuries at the scene. Officials have withheld the identity of the victim pending the notification of his family.
Our deepest sympathies are extended to the friends and family of the deceased during this difficult time.
Common Reasons for Pedestrian Accidents
Most walkers understand the catastrophic consequences of pedestrian accidents and take measures into their own hands to ensure their personal safety. Unfortunately, their lives could still be put at risk due to the negligence of others. Some of the negligent behaviors by motorists that contribute to such accidents include the following:
- Distracted Driving: When drivers are distracted while behind the wheel of a motor vehicle, their eyes and minds are not focused on driving. Distractions such as texting or calling on a cell phone, applying makeup, eating, or other driving interferences can lead to a traumatic pedestrian accident.
- Intoxication: The general driving skills, reasoning, and reaction times of motorists are impaired whenever they are intoxicated either through the use of drugs or alcohol. An impaired driver can easily miss a walker on the road, especially in poor weather or at nighttime.
- Reckless Driving: When a motorist operates a motor vehicle aggressively or recklessly, this may risk the lives of others on the road. Some examples of reckless driving include running a traffic sign or red light, failing to stop at a marked pedestrian crossing, and more.
- Speeding: Motorists traveling at high speeds are often unable to control their vehicle and stop in time for an emergency. This is especially true in congested traffic conditions, inclement weather, or along curving roadways.
When a Pedestrian is Liable for an Accident
Pedestrians can sometimes contribute to their own injuries sustained in an accident. When a walker shares partial fault in a pedestrian accident, this can limit the amount of compensation offered for their damages. This is known as comparative fault, which reduces the full recovery a pedestrian would be entitled to by the percentage of liability assigned to them. Some common factors for pedestrian negligence in an auto accident include:
- Crossing in front of a car
- Darting out in front of oncoming traffic
- Stepping out between parked vehicles
- Strolling about while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Walking in pedestrian prohibited areas such as along bridges or highways
- Walking while distracted such as listening to music with earbuds or texting on a cell phone
How a Pedestrian Accident Attorney Can Help
Pedestrian injuries and fatalities often occur when a negligent motorist disregards the rules of the road. When a pedestrian accident claims the life of a loved one, this can leave surviving family members with emotional and financial damages. An experienced pedestrian accident attorney may be able to help by compiling evidence of the accident to properly determine liability and obtain fair compensation from the responsible parties for a loved one’s death. While no amount of money can take away a family’s grief and bring a loved one back, monetary compensation can help offset the unexpected expenses that often mount following a wrongful death.
Merced Wrongful Death Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced wrongful death lawyer. The loss of someone you love is one of the most heartbreaking experiences in your lifetime. The loss can be compounded by anger and frustration when the death could have been prevented. If you have lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident caused by the negligence of another individual or entity, please feel free to contact me anytime for compassionate, free and friendly legal advice. You may give me a call at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 outside the area code.
You are welcome to read through our client reviews listed at:
I am a California member of the Million Dollar Advocates, a forum comprised of U.S. trial attorneys with a past trial verdict or settlement worth $1 million and over.
Go to our Verdicts and Settlements page to browse a list of our prior cases and their conclusions.
Merced County Accident Kills Pedestrian: AutoAccident.com
Image Source: By “jclk8888” via Pixabay / Merced County Accident Kills Pedestrian
:ds [cs 751] cha cv