Bus Rollover Occurs at Highway 99 Exit
A bus in Merced transporting 16 teens on March 4 experienced a rollover crash, resulting in multiple injuries. The accident happened at the exit for Martin Luther King Boulevard off Highway 99 around 2:00 p.m. Officers with the California Highway Patrol (CHP) responded to the accident. According to the party bus driver, the vehicle experienced a mechanical problem, so he pulled off onto the exit and was forced to swerve to miss hitting other vehicles. The bus then rolled over.
Investigation Underway to Determine Cause of Bus Rollover Crash
Although it was determined by the CHP that neither drugs nor alcohol factored into the bus crash, the accident is being investigated to understand what happened to cause the rollover. No one has been placed under arrest as a result of the accident.
Reasons for a Bus Rollover Crash
Bus rollover accidents can be extremely serious, resulting in major injuries to passengers and motorists. Common causes and contributing factors behind bus rollover crashes may include the following:
- Driver error: Drivers can make mistakes while operating buses due to fatigue, distraction or inadequate training. They may not have enough experience driving on certain types of terrain or highways, or they could be driving too fast or taking a turn too sharply.
- Defective equipment: Buses can experience mechanical problems due to defects in the vehicle design, manufacturing process or maintenance programs. Issues such as worn brakes, defective tires and inadequate suspension systems could all contribute to an unstable ride and increase the likelihood of rollover crashes. By keeping the vehicle, it can be examined for defects. If a defect caused the accident, a product liability claim might be placed against the manufacturer.
- Road conditions: Poorly maintained roads with sharp turns or poorly marked signage as well as potholes and other problems can cause buses to lose control and roll over if drivers cannot correct them quickly enough. If a government entity is at fault for a bus rollover crash, there is only a six-month window to file a claim. Enlisting the help of an accident attorney ensures the paperwork is completed correctly and submitted within the statutes of limitations.
- Overcrowding: When a bus is overloaded with passengers, it may become difficult to control and can roll over more easily. Bus drivers should ensure that the bus does not exceed its recommended capacity for a passenger load.
- Unbalanced Cargo: Buses may carry cargo such as luggage, which can cause an imbalance when cornering or during sudden stops. Drivers should ensure that all cargo is securely loaded before taking off.
Free Legal Advice From an Injury Lawyer
If you suffered injuries in a bus crash caused by the driver or their employer, you have the right to recover damages, including the cost of your medical bills, wages because you couldn’t work and for your pain and suffering. An injury lawyer can advise you of your rights, review your claim and let you know how to recover the compensation you deserve.
Merced Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced personal injury lawyer. An injury lawyer can help you prepare a strong claim for maximum compensation if you have been injured in a bus accident. Please contact us at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 if you would like to discuss your legal options with one of the accident attorneys on our legal team. We can also be contacted online if you prefer.
We are proud to be listed as California members in the following groups:
You can access our injury lawyers’ client ratings and comments by clicking on the following links:
Photo attribution: Image by Gianni Crestani from Pixabay
:cd llo