State Route 20 Site of Major Injury Pedestrian Accident
A major injury pedestrian accident happened in Nice, northeast of Lakeport, on December 23 involving a motor vehicle. The collision happened on State Route 20 between Sayre and Hudson Avenues around 6:51 p.m. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) received a call that someone had been run over by a vehicle and went to the scene.
Individual Hospitalized in a Major Injury Pedestrian Accident
They discovered both the pedestrian and vehicle out of the roadway. Cal Fire paramedics were called, who determined the pedestrian had suffered major injuries and transported that individual to a hospital. No additional information was provided. An investigation of the cause of the accident is being determined by the CHP traffic crash unit.
Pedestrian Accidents That Cause Major Injuries
Many pedestrian accidents result in serious injuries in Northern California. Motorists are at fault in many of these collisions, although pedestrians must also take precautions to stay safe. A major injury pedestrian accident occurs for a variety of reasons, including:
- Speed: Many pedestrian accidents occur as a result of speeding. As a result of speeding, the driver has less control over his or her vehicle and needs more time to stop. Furthermore, pedestrian fatalities are more likely to occur when vehicles travel faster.
- Lack of crosswalks: Pedestrians may need to cross in areas without crosswalks or street lights. Motorists do not expect to see pedestrians crossing the road due to this reason. Sometimes, if a motorist is vigilant, they cannot stop to avoid an accident with a pedestrian. The speeds of these drivers are too high in others, such as on the highway, and it is impossible to stop.
- Distractions: The causes of all types of accidents are often linked to distracted driving. A distracted driver is more likely to cause an accident involving a pedestrian if they are texting, looking at vehicle controls, or focusing on something other than driving.
- DUI: A pedestrian can easily be injured as a result of drunk driving or drug use by the motorist. Additionally, intoxicated drivers have problems focusing, judging distances, and even staying in their own lane due to impaired reflexes.
Injuries to Pedestrians and the Recovery of Compensation
An injured pedestrian may seek compensation from an at-fault driver or another entity as follows:
- Medical expenses: A pedestrian who has been injured in an accident may be able to recover all of the medical expenses associated with that accident, including hospitalization, ambulance transportation, tests, surgeries, physician’s bills, and rehabilitation.
- Wages: Those injured can recover wages lost due to their incapacity to work.
- Physical and emotional trauma: Physical, emotional, and psychological damages can all be recovered for those who were injured in a major injury pedestrian accident.
The following characteristics should be looked for in an accident attorney, according to injury lawyer Ed Smith:
Lakeport Personal Injury Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, and I’m a Lakeport personal injury lawyer. In the event a driver’s negligence has injured you, please do not hesitate to contact us at (707) 564-1900. We can provide you with free and friendly advice regarding your potential financial recovery. If you wish to reach us long distance, please call (800) 404-5400. You can also reach us by filling out our online contact form.
Photo attribution: Image by Masashi Wakui from Pixabay