Pedestrian Accident Happens on 47th Avenue On-Ramp
A major injury was reported in South Sacramento on September 10 when a vehicle and pedestrian were involved in an accident. The collision occurred around 6:00 in the morning along northbound State Route 99 on the 47th Avenue on-ramp in the Lemon Hill area. The report of the incident by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) said that Sacramento Fire Department emergency responders determined that the pedestrian had suffered a major injury in the accident.
Pedestrian Transported to a Hospital for Treatment of Major Injury
No information was provided on which hospital the patient was transported to for additional treatment and evaluation. An investigation underway by the CHP will determine how the accident happened.
Pedestrian Injury Accidents
Everyone knows that pedestrians are vulnerable to serious injuries if they are struck by a motor vehicle. Although motorists know that they should exercise special care when in areas where pedestrians can be found, such as intersections, they don’t always do that. It is the negligent motorist or other entity that is responsible for a high number of accidents with pedestrians that result in a major injury. Some of the reasons these accidents occur include:
- A driver runs a stop sign or red light and strikes a pedestrian in the crosswalk. Even if the light has changed, a pedestrian has the right of way to finish crossing safely.
- A pedestrian steps off the curb just as a motorist is making a right-hand turn. In some of these cases, the view to the motorist’s left is blocked and they are already risking an accident by completing the turn. By looking toward their left to try and see if another vehicle is coming, they aren’t checking the right side for a pedestrian beginning to cross the street. This can cause an accident resulting in a major injury.
- An intersection that isn’t properly maintained such as having inadequate lighting, malfunctioning crossing and traffic lights and other problems can lead to a major injury pedestrian accident. The government entity in charge of maintenance may be held liable in these instances.
- Not slowing down in areas where speed is restricted, such as schools, can lead to the major injury of a pedestrian.
- Speeding or distracted driving can end up causing an intersection major injury because the motorist either can’t slow down in time to avoid a collision or doesn’t look up until it’s too late to avoid striking someone on foot.
Investigation of a Pedestrian Accident
In any accident that causes injuries, an investigation to collect evidence is necessary to support a client’s compensation claim. By placing a claim, the injured party can recover all of their medical costs, lost wages and for their pain and suffering from the at-fault party. Investigations into the cause of a major injury pedestrian accident include the following:
- Our investigators go right away to the accident scene to collect the evidence needed to prove fault and support our client’s compensation claim.
- Area surveillance cameras are checked to see if the major injury accident was captured on tape. If it was, we can obtain a copy of that film.
- Witnesses are interviewed.
- The police report is examined for errors.
- Accident reconstruction is performed, which shows how the major injury accident occurred. Insurance companies and the courts both accept this type of evidence.
Once all the evidence has been compiled, it is used by our injury lawyers to construct a case that supports our client’s claim.
Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Sacramento personal injury lawyer. Pedestrian injuries in an accident are often serious and require extensive hospitalization and recuperation. If a negligent driver was responsible for your injuries, we have free and friendly advice to offer you. Call us at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. We can also be reached online.
It is an honor for us to be members of:
Additional helpful information about our law firm is found below:
My team of injury attorneys and I have helped many Northern Californians in obtaining the compensation they deserve for pedestrian accidents, all varieties of traffic collisions, wrongful deaths, and other cases.
:cd llo