Major Injuries Reported in Atwater Truck Accident
I’m Ed Smith, an Atwater personal injury attorney. A woman sustained major injuries when the vehicle she was riding in was struck by a tractor-trailer truck in Atwater on May 8, 2018. At approximately 9:03 in the morning, a 2013 Dodge pickup truck reportedly turned left onto Castlewood Avenue from Buhach Road into the path of an oncoming big rig, resulting in a serious collision. Authorities reported that the impact was such that it caused damage to a nearby city light pole. Unfortunately, the truck accident caused a female passenger of the Dodge to be hospitalized for serious injuries to her face and lower extremities.
Types of Truck Accidents
Accidents involving large commercial trucks are often responsible for traumatic injuries and fatalities due to their overwhelming size and momentum. Below are the common types of truck accidents and their causes:
- Inadequate truck maintenance can cause accidents as it may lead to tire shredding or blowouts, brake failure or loss of control resulting from steering equipment malfunction.
- Jackknifing transpires when the trailer of the truck swings out, folds and comes to a rest at a sharp or ninety-degree angle, bearing the resemblance of the angle of a pocket knife.
- Large trucks have blind spots on all sides, making it difficult for a trucker to spot a vehicle that is traveling directly in front or behind them.
- Rollovers involving large trucks often occur due to faulty brakes, poorly maintained roads, conditions at intersections, shifts in the load or taking a curve too fast.
- Underride accidents happen when a smaller vehicle is unable to stop in time for a truck that abruptly slows or stops due to an emergency. This can cause the vehicle to slide underneath the truck, resulting in the top of the vehicle to shear off.
Passenger Injury Claims
Passengers who have suffered injuries in a traffic accident have a right to recover for their losses by filing a personal injury claim. These claims can be brought against an insurance policy of the driver of the vehicle in which they were riding in as well as the driver of the other vehicle(s) involved in the collision. If one of the drivers was operating a vehicle belonging to their employer, that employer may also be held liable for damages incurred such as lost wages, medical bills and pain and suffering. In situations like these, meeting with a seasoned personal injury lawyer in Atwater can be helpful. An attorney can investigate further into the cause of the accident, as well as, guide you through the process of filing a claim and secure your right to fair compensation.
Atwater Personal Injury Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, an Atwater personal injury attorney. An accident with a large commercial truck can result in devastating injuries. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident due to the negligence of a truck driver, you need the assistance that a seasoned lawyer can offer. Please contact me anytime at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly case advice.
Please feel free to read through comments written by my past clients on:
The Million Dollar Advocates is a forum that offers limited membership to trial attorneys with client settlements or trial verdicts of one million dollars or more in value. I am proudly listed as a California member of this forum.
To see how I resolved other cases for my clients, please visit my Verdicts and Settlements page.
Photograph Courtesy: By “ElasticComputeFarm” via Pixabay
:ds [cs 616] cv