Two Caltrans Workers Suffer Major Injuries in Collision
An accident involving two trucks occurred in Redding recently, which resulted in major injuries. The collision occurred around 1:00 p.m. along northbound I-5 near Hilltop Drive between a Caltrans truck and a box truck. Two injuries were reported in the crash, according to the incident report issued by the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
The accident happened as the box truck was in the right-hand lane and struck the back of the Caltrans truck. Two workers for Caltrans, an Anderson man, 25, and a Bella Vista man, 66, suffered major injuries in the crash and were transported to a hospital for treatment. The box truck driver, a Sacramento man, age 40, was not transported. The number two lane along I-5 was blocked for a time as an investigation was conducted into the incident.
Why Do Box Truck Accidents Happen?
- Driver unfamiliarity with box trucks: An inexperienced driver may not realize that box trucks handle differently from passenger vehicles, have large blind spots and take longer to stop when braking. Box trucks can be rented by private individuals from U-Haul and Ryder.
- Distracted driving: When distracted by their delivery schedule or navigation system, a driver can end up colliding with another vehicle and causing major injuries.
- Busy schedules: Due to their busy schedules, a lot of large company drivers speed. This puts liability on the parent company.
- Fatigued driving: Companies put a lot of pressure on truck drivers, and they often drive fatigued. This is a dangerous thing to do and results in injuries.
- In rear-end crashes, a box truck’s stopping distance is longer when it is loaded. An accident that occurs because the driver failed to apply the brakes in time can result in a rear-end collision.
- Improper loading: If a box truck is misloaded, it can roll over if the driver makes a sharp turn or if the weight shifts, leading to an accident.
Mechanical Defects Can Be Responsible for Major Injuries
Although driver error is responsible for many accidents, a good number of them are caused by defective auto parts. Some of the most common are:
- Brake failure: Nothing is worse than stepping on your brake, and the vehicle fails to stop. When the brakes have mechanical defects that lead to brake failure, this can happen. In such instances, the manufacturer can be held liable for damages.
- Tire failure: There are many defects that lead to tire failure. Common reasons are tread separation, sidewall failure and poor puncture repair. This defect leads to many accidents and injuries.
- Accelerator failure: At times, the accelerator will stick, and the driver careens down the street at a high speed. In a truck, it is difficult to stop suddenly. This commonly results in major injuries, especially on a freeway.
How Does an Attorney Help in a Box Truck Accident?
Your attorney will investigate the accident to determine how it happened. He/she will work with experts to examine the vehicle to see if defects exist. They will also use accident reconstruction techniques to place where the vehicles involved in the accident were before, during, and after the accident. Our investigators also examine video footage from surveillance cameras, traffic lights, and nearby businesses. We question witnesses and review police reports for mistakes to get a better understanding of the crash. Once this is completed, our injury lawyers use the evidence to build a strong case for our clients.
Redding Truck Accident Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Redding truck accident lawyer. Accident injuries can be serious and result in lost wages, pain and suffering, and high medical expenses. If a negligent truck driver was the cause, the injured person may be able to place a claim to recover compensation. Give us a call for our free and friendly advice at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400. You can also use the online message form to get in touch with us. We can set up a virtual or in-person consultation to review your case, answer your questions and inform you of options to recover compensation. The consultation is free and carries no obligations.
We are honored to be members of the associations that follow:
The following links illustrate how our injury lawyers have assisted others:
Photo attribution: Image by cdz from Pixabay
:cd llo