Major Injuries in Multiple Vehicle Accident on I-80
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident and personal injury lawyer. An April 26 accident that involved multiple vehicles caused significant injuries to one individual along Interstate 80. It was reported by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) that the crash involved four cars. The collision caused a SigAlert to be issued blocking three lanes of eastbound I-80 until the vehicles could be cleared from the crash scene.
According to a report by the CHP, the crash happened around 6:30 in the evening along the interstate near Norwood Avenue. Information on the types of cars involved in the crash was not available. However, the individual who was hurt was transported to the UC Davis Medical Center with injuries to the face, forearms, and wrist. The cause of the crash has not yet been reported.
Motor Vehicle Accident Injuries
Injuries caused by car accidents happen quite frequently. Injuries can be even worse in a multiple-vehicle crash. This is because after being struck by one car or truck, the vehicle can be pushed into other cars or be repeatedly hit from behind. The force of the impact, particularly by multiple vehicles, can cause severe injuries.
- Traumatic brain injuries: TBIs are caused by a blow on the head and can be closed or unclosed. In a closed TBI, the surface of the head remains unbroken, while in an unclosed TBI, there is penetration into the skull. Symptoms of a TBI may be delayed and may range from mild to severe.
- Spinal cord injuries: Serious injuries to the spinal cord may occur anywhere along the spine and cause permanent damage to sensation, bodily functions or strength. Symptoms indicating the need for emergency help include weakness or paralysis, difficulty breathing or extreme pressure in the head, neck or back.
- Chest injuries: These injuries may be caused by impact with the dash, steering wheel, other parts of the vehicle or by being thrown from the car. Symptoms include pain and difficulty breathing, coughing up blood and sounds coming from potentially broken ribs.
- Burn injuries: Burns can range from minor to severe. Injuries caused by severe burns injuries require hospitalization in a burn unit. They can take months to heal and need skin grafts while guarding against infection. Scarring and disfigurement may result.
- Abdominal trauma: Trauma to the abdomen may be caused by blunt force or a penetrating injury. Early signs are bruising, pain, rigidity and tenderness, fainting and dizziness, among others.
Liability in a Motor Vehicle Accident
Someone who has been injured in an accident caused by another person’s negligent actions can place a claim for fair compensation for their injuries. This includes the time that was lost from work, medical bills and pain and suffering. An experienced car accident lawyer can help by compiling the costs associated with the accident and investigating the crash to determine fault to build a strong case. The time for filing is limited, and the clock ticks away that time before you know it. This is why it is essential to contact an attorney right away.
Car Accident Lawyer in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident and personal injury lawyer. Interstates are commonly the place where motor vehicle accidents happen, and injuries are compounded when traffic is moving fast, and vehicles are close together. If you or someone you love has been injured, give me a call at (916) 921-6400 here in Sacramento for free, friendly advice. Outside the Sacramento area, phone me at (800) 404-5400.
It can be challenging to decide who to retain as a lawyer when you’ve been injured and need to recover fair compensation to pay your bills and cover other expenses. One good idea is to look over comments made by previous clients. Reviews of my legal practice can be found at:
I belong to the Million Dollar Advocates as a California forum member. This group represents some of the top trial attorneys in the nation who have garnered verdicts/settlements for clients totaling $1 million.
Please visit the Verdicts and Settlements page to see some of my prior cases and how they were resolved.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/highway-jam-traffic-pkw-autos-1761825/
:cd [cs 730] bw cv