Madison Avenue Motorcycle Accident in Fair Oaks
I’m Ed Smith, a Fair Oaks motorcycle accident lawyer. A crash between a motor vehicle and motorcycle on Sunday, July 15, left the rider with injuries when they collided near an intersection in Fair Oaks. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the motorcyclist suffered minor injuries in the crash. Medical attention was summoned to treat the injured rider at the scene. It is unknown at this time whether the rider required further treatment at a nearby hospital.
Details of the Crash
The accident happened shortly after 12:00 noon near the intersection of Madison Avenue eastbound just east of San Juan Avenue. A Chrysler Pacifica, traveling north on San Juan, was involved in the collision with the motorcyclist, who was eastbound on Madison. The Sacramento Fire Department was called in to tend to the injured motorcycle rider as well as deal with a fuel spill in the left turn lane of San Juan northbound. The accident is being investigated by the CHP as to cause and to place fault. It is unknown at this time whether drugs or alcohol contributed to the crash.
Incidence of Motorcycle Accidents
The number of motorcycle accidents varies by state with California and Florida leading the way. For instance, there are roughly 799,900 motorcycles registered in California at any given time. With nice weather and an abundance of bikers on the road, the likelihood of accidents and injuries is high. In 2016, the number of accidents fell to 23,793 from a high of 34,996 in 1980, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. However, in 2016, the number of motorcycle fatalities was two times the number in 1997. In 2016, 40 percent of motorcycle deaths were single-vehicle crashes while 60 percent involved multiple vehicles. Only 29 percent of fatalities involved younger bikers.
Reasons for Serious Injuries
In addition to the numbers, motorcycle accidents often result in serious injuries since the bikes lack the supportive steel structure found in passenger vehicles. There are few safety items for motorcycles, mostly limited to helmet lights warning other motorists. That means that bikers need to know how to ride defensively, protecting themselves. Some of the most common injuries are:
- Head injuries: The number and severity of head injuries is directly related to whether or not the biker is using a helmet at the time of a crash. The injury can range from a concussion to traumatic brain injury.
- Fractures: Fractures are common in motorcycle accidents, particularly of the legs and upper extremities. This is largely due to the lack of protection.
- Chest trauma: Broken ribs are common among motorcyclists involved in an accident.
- Road rash: This is a problem encountered by motorcyclists when they are thrown from their bikes. If the clothing a biker is wearing is not thick enough, the upper layers of the skin can be eroded, leaving the biker with a painful injury that has a high likelihood of becoming infected.
- Upper extremity nerve damage: Since bikers often land on their arms, the impact is fully absorbed by this appendage. The force of the impact can cause significant nerve damage.
Fair Oaks Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Fair Oaks motorcycle accident lawyer. Motorcycle crashes can result in some of the worst injuries compared to other types of accidents. If you or your loved one was injured as a result of a negligent driver or object, I can offer you free and friendly advice. Just give me a call at (916) 921-6400 in the area, or you can contact me at (800) 404-5400.
When you are thinking of retaining an attorney, you need to know about their legal practice. You can learn about mine by reading client and peer reviews and the way I resolved other cases on the following pages:
I am a long-time member of the Million Dollar Advocates. This forum only allows members who have negotiated settlements or won trial verdicts for a client in excess of $1 million.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/motorcycle-accident-road-traffic-1041070/
:cd llo [cs 707] cv