Lodi Solo Vehicle Accident Fatality
I’m Ed Smith, a Lodi, personal injury attorney. A public report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) indicated that a single vehicle accident occurred along Davis Road and Peltier Road in west Lodi on April 16, 2018. According to CHP, a 43-year-old Stockton man was driving his 2016 Hyundai at an unknown speed when he approached a sharp left-hand curve in the road, causing the driver to lose control. The Hyundai allegedly drifted off the roadway, continued through a vineyard and collided into a concrete barrier. The vehicle came to a rest after striking two oak trees within the vineyard. Investigators reported that the driver, who has not yet been identified, exited the Hyundai and walked a short distance from the scene before succumbing to his injuries.
I would like to send my sincere thoughts and prayers to the loved ones of the decedent during their time of grief.
Solo Vehicle Accidents
Solo vehicle accidents are relatively common in California. While such collisions are typically presumed to occur as a result of driver error, there may be other factors leading up to the crash outside of a motorist’s control. Such factors include:
- Auto Products Liability: Car accidents may sometimes be caused by a defect in a motor vehicle or vehicle parts, such as defective brakes, air bags, accelerator pedals, fuel system failures and other causes. A products liability lawsuit may be filed if the manufacturer, retailer or seller failed to ensure that their product was safe for consumer use.
- Hit and Run Accidents: When a motorist intentionally leaves the scene of an auto accident without identifying themselves to officials or the other parties involved, it is considered as a hit and run. While some hit and run suspects may escape liability, victims may retract on their own automobile insurance policy to recover damages under Uninsured Motorist Protection (UM).
- Phantom Vehicle Accidents: This is the term used to describe a vehicle that causes damage, injury or death without initiating physical contact. An example of a phantom vehicle accident may include a run-off-road crash, which is typically the result of road rage.
- Roadway Defects: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) proclaimed that approximately 2 percent of traffic fatalities are caused by environmental factors. These factors may include lack of road maintenance, poorly designed roads and problems with traffic signs or signals. A claim against a government entity for a road defect causing serious injury and/or death of an individual must be filed within the statute of limitations, which is 180 days in California.
Determining liability in a solo vehicle accident can be stressful and complicated without the assistance of a seasoned personal injury lawyer in Lodi. An experienced attorney can guide you through the process of filing a personal injury claim against a negligent party or entity and retrieving just compensation for your losses.
Lodi Accident Statistics
In a 2015 data report by the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS), approximately 388 accidents occurring in Lodi caused severe injury and fatality to those involved. Drunk driving was found to be a leading cause in 41 of these crashes. Speeding and hit and runs were also found as factors in these accidents.
Related Articles by Edward A Smith:
- Reasons for Single Vehicle Accidents
- What to do After a Car Accident
- Why You Should Contact an Attorney
Lodi Personal Injury Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Lodi, personal injury attorney. When a negligent party causes a motor vehicle accident, the consequences can be serious or even fatal to those affected. If you or a loved one has experienced this, please feel free to call me anytime at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive free and friendly advice.
Reviews by my former clients and peers may be read at:
The Million Dollar Advocates is a forum which permits membership to trial lawyers who have obtained 1 million dollar awards for their clients in settlements and verdicts. I am proud to be listed as a California member of this forum.
To learn more about my law practice and the results of my past cases, please go to my Verdicts and Settlements page.
Image Source: By “StockSnap” via Pixabay
:ds [cs 716] cv