Ways to Stay Sane and Healthy When Homebound
Sacramento gyms are closing, and many of us are practicing a period of self-quarantine to slow the spread of COVID-19. Pipeworks closed earlier this month and all 24-Hour Fitness locations have followed suit. It is safe to assume other gyms will close as well. Given this, we began exploring ways of keeping healthy at home.
Options for Exercise
It is important to keep up an exercise regimen even if you cannot get to the gym. Regular exercise boosts the immune system and lifts our mood. A walk, run, bike ride, or hike outdoors is the best option to get natural light and fresh air, while still being able to easily practice social distancing. Unless you live in an extremely densely populated area, exercising outdoors is a healthy way to prevent or reduce cabin fever.
If you have been deprived of your dumbells, here are some household objects that have some heft and can be lifted:
- Gallon milk jug filled with water or sand
- Paint cans
- Bottles of laundry detergent
- Big bag of dog food
Of course, use caution and only lift if you are familiar with proper form and used to a routine.
Watch YouTube Video: 30-Minute HIIT Cardio Workout. Below is one of the many free home workout videos available.
Healthy Home Meal Delivery Services
As a companion to exercise, we need to continue to try to eat healthfully, and keeping adequate supplies of food on hand is a topic on everyone’s minds right now. There are several companies that offer delivery of all the ingredients to make a few healthy meals per week, along with the recipes. The companies operate out of commercial kitchens, and most have implemented even more stringent sanitation procedures. The meals are a bit more expensive than buying direct from a grocery store, but as boredom sets in it may be fun to give a week or two of these prepared kits a try. Here are a few that offer healthful options:
- Purple Carrot – This is an entirely plant-based meal kit service. A sample meal on their current menu plan: Eggplant Parmesan with Garlicky Tomato Sauce & Lemon Basil Couscous
- Green Chef – Offers plans for Keto, Paleo, Plant-Powered and balanced living. Sample meal on the Paleo menu: Blackened Cajun Chicken with Bell Pepper & Tomato Hash, and Kale Salad with Cucumber
- Sunbasket – Varied menu. One current option: Bangers & Mash, Shallot Gravy, and Peas and Spinach
For a healthy breakfast, try the following smoothie recipe. The benefit of this smoothie during this strange time is that you can freeze the bananas and fruit, and use shelf-stable almond milk.
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen berries – any kind
- Scant 2 cups almond milk
Put all ingredients in a blender along with ice, if desired, and blend.
Variations: instead of berries, use a large spoonful of peanut butter. For added nutrition, add a spoonful of ground flaxseed.
Home Hand Sanitizer
If we are homebound, we should always have access to soap and water to wash our hands. But realistically we will need to venture out into the world at some point for food, or a medical appointment. With supplies of prepared hand sanitizer running low on store shelves, here is a recipe for hand sanitizer to make at home:
- Combine two parts rubbing alcohol (99% alcohol volume) to one part aloe vera gel. Add in drops of essential oils if you have any. Put in an empty spray bottle and go. The 2/1 ratio will keep alcohol to approximately 60% which is the minimum required to combat the virus, per the Centers for Disease Control.
We here at AutoAccident.com hope you are staying healthy and finding something to be grateful for each day.
We are in this together!
Stockton Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton personal injury lawyer. In the unfortunate event that you or a family member sustained injury as a result of a careless or reckless driver, we are happy to offer free and friendly advice. Just call us at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400.
I have worked diligently as a legal representative for injured Stockton residents for 38+ years. My firm has achieved very favorable settlements and verdicts. Please take a moment to visit the following links and read what some of my prior clients say about my firm’s services:
I belong to the following legal groups:
Photo: Rob9040 on Pixabay
:mm cha [cs 771]