Pickup Pulling Trailer Jackknifes on U.S. 50
A jackknife accident occurred in Rosemont on April 18 when a ¾ ton pickup pulling a 20-foot enclosed trailer overturned. The accident happened along eastbound U.S. 50 just east of the Watt Avenue on-ramp around 4:00 p.m. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that the accident involved a truck, a minivan, and another vehicle.
Propane Spill Occurs After Jackknife Accident
The pickup was hauling gas canisters, which spilled onto the lanes when the trailer overturned, blocking them. A reporting person said the propane was on fire. However, it is unknown how accurate the report was after the jackknife or whether it involved one or multiple canisters. It is unknown whether injuries occurred in the collision. An investigation is underway by the CHP traffic officials to discover how the crash occurred and to assign fault.
Dangers of a Propane Spill After a Jackknife Accident
If a propane spill occurs due to a jackknife accident, it can be extremely dangerous. Propane is highly flammable and can quickly spread in the air or settle on surfaces if not contained properly. The risks of fire and explosion are very real, and you should seek immediate legal advice if you’ve been involved in a jackknife accident that resulted in a propane leak. Injuries a propane spill in a traffic accident can cause:
- Burn injuries – The most common injury caused by a propane spill in an auto accident is severe burn injuries, including second or third-degree trauma. More serious burns can result in long-term hospitalization, require skin grafts, and cause serious scarring and disfigurement.
- Suffocation – Since propane is highly combustible, breathing in large amounts of the fumes can lead to suffocation or other respiratory problems.
- Traumatic brain injury – If an accident occurs due to a propane spill, a TBI can occur. This happens when a person’s head suddenly jerks forward and backward during an accident.
- Spinal cord injury – A propane spill can cause the vehicle to become engulfed in flames, leading to serious spinal cord damage and paralysis.
- Broken bones – Auto accidents are one of the leading causes of broken bones, and burns from a propane explosion can worsen any fractures sustained by the victim.
- Internal organ damage – A serious auto accident can cause internal bleeding and other organ damage, potentially leading to death.
- Psychological trauma – Those caught up in a propane explosion in a car accident may suffer from psychological trauma, such as post-traumatic stress disorder. Symptoms may include anxiety, nightmares, fear of driving, and others that can impact the person’s life.
An attorney can work with you to protect your rights and help provide the necessary guidance during this difficult time. Don’t hesitate to get the legal representation you need for any kind of vehicle accident involving hazardous materials to recover the compensation you deserve after being injured in an accident that wasn’t your fault.
Rosemont Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Rosemont personal injury lawyer. If you are injured in an accident as a result of negligence, you might be able to collect compensation for medical bills and other losses. If you would like free and friendly advice, you can reach us at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404-5400. You can also contact us online.
We are proud members of the following, which shows how hard our accident attorneys work toward getting maximum compensation for our clients:
At the following links, you can look over some of our cases and read comments placed by previous clients to see how our injury lawyers have handled cases:
Photo attribution: Image by Denise McQuillen from Pixabay
:cd llo  ds