Car Accidents and the Delayed Risk of Traumatic Brain Injury
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) can be a serious consequence of a car accident, and it is important to recognize the signs and symptoms so that you can seek prompt medical attention. Symptoms may be delayed, which can place you at risk. Here are some common signs of a TBI that may be observed after a car accident:
- Loss of consciousness
- Confusion and disorientation
- Memory loss
- Nausea or vomiting
- Fatigue or drowsiness
- Blurred vision or sensitivity to light
Traumatic Brain Injury Types
While in some cases, a traumatic injury to the brain may mean a concussion, which can heal in several months on its own, other types of TBI may be severe and result in permanent damage or long-term hospitalization. For example, a cerebral hemorrhage means there is bleeding in the brain, which can be life-threatening and require emergency treatment. A TBI is categorized as a primary or secondary injury. A primary brain injury occurs at the time of the accident and is complete. A secondary brain injury develops up to days later and causes increased destruction of the tissues.
Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer if You’ve Suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury
If you believe that you or your loved one may have suffered a TBI after a car accident, don’t delay getting medical attention. Early treatment and detection of a brain injury can prevent further complications and improve outcomes. If you suffer a brain injury in an accident caused by a negligent driver, hiring a lawyer can be beneficial in several ways:
- Legal representation: A lawyer can represent you in court and help you navigate the legal system. This can be especially important if you are dealing with insurance companies or if the other driver denies responsibility for the accident.
- Experience in personal injury law: A lawyer who specializes in personal injury law can provide you with expert advice on your case and help you understand your legal rights and options. They can also help you to understand the value of your claim and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Gathering evidence: A lawyer can help you gather the necessary evidence to support your claim, such as medical records, witness statements, and accident reports. They can also work with expert witnesses, such as medical professionals, to help prove the extent of your injuries and the impact they have had on your life.
- Filing a lawsuit: If the other driver’s insurance company refuses to offer you a fair settlement, a lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf. They can represent you in court and argue for the compensation you deserve.
- Maximizing compensation: A lawyer can help you maximize your compensation for your injuries, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering. They can also help you be compensated for ongoing care and rehabilitation.
Overall, hiring a lawyer if you suffer a traumatic brain injury in an accident caused by a negligent driver can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
California Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a California car accident lawyer. If someone else’s negligence caused your or your loved one’s brain injury, recovering compensation covers your medical expenses and other losses. Our attorneys can provide you with free and friendly advice by calling (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. Online contact is also available.
We have included links to some websites that show how our injury lawyers have helped others with their lawsuits:
It gives us great pride to be a member of these organizations:
Photo attribution: Photo by MART PRODUCTION: https://www.pexels.com/photo/technology-computer-head-health-7089020/
:cd llo