Hit and Run Accident Injures Motorist in Florin Area

Hit and Run Accident Injures Motorist in Florin 

On November 3, a hit and run accident caused injuries to the occupant of a vehicle along Gerber Road in the Florin area of Sacramento. The accident happened just after 4:00 in the afternoon at the Gerber Road intersection with Power Inn Road, according to a report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). The individual who reported the accident said they stopped to assist a person in a Kia Optima, who had been injured in the crash. Emergency responders arrived to assess the injured individual, and a tow truck was called to remove the vehicle. A felony hit and run in the incident was reported. The CHP is handling the investigation into the crash. 

Felony Hit and Run

Under state Vehicle Code 20001, a felony hit and run is one where serious injury or death has occurred. This law requires that the driver stop, administer aid if needed, and offer contact information. They are also obligated to call police. Remaining at the scene is required whether the person has caused the accident or not. Depending on the extent of the injury, a felony hit and one may be charged as a misdemeanor. This is called a wobbler. However, if the injury is serious or if the person died, it will be prosecuted as a felony. Penalties could include jail time, fines and restitution. If the driver is drunk, then the charge may be gross vehicular manslaughter, and jail time will be increased by five years to be served consecutively. 

Who Pays for the Damages

One of the first questions a client struck by a hit and run driver is – who will pay for the damages? If the fleeing driver is apprehended, he or she will be responsible for the damages. However, when the hit and run driver escapes apprehension, it is possible for the injured party to use their own insurance if they have uninsured motorist protection. This coverage is offered to all drivers in the state of California, and motorists have the right to accept or reject it. It covers the injuries to the full extent of their insurance policy. When a driver rejects this coverage for their own policy but a family member living with them has it, the injured person can use their insurance to receive compensation. With the high number of hit and run accidents, this is a good reason for motorists to have this coverage added to their insurance policy. It is important to note that insurance premiums are not increased when uninsured motorist protection is used. 

What an Attorney Can Do to Help

Hit and run accidents are difficult to deal with on many levels. That is why it is important to have an experienced attorney at your side. Our firm does everything it can to aid police in finding the fleeing driver. If that is not possible, we work hard to make sure our client receives the compensation they deserve. Some of the ways we do this are:

  • We dispatch our investigative team to the hit and run crash site to determine how and why the crash happened using accident reconstruction techniques. This evidence is used to establish negligence.
  • We look for any evidence at the scene to establish the identity of the vehicle or the driver. Some ways we do this is to look for evidence as to the color of the vehicle usually found on telltale paint left on the injured party’s car or through recollections of the injured person.
  • Our investigators interview witnesses who are often adept at providing useful information in a hit and run accident.
  • Police reports are reviewed to determine if inaccuracies are present.
  • Videos found on traffic surveillance cameras or nearby stores show the accident in real time. 

Once all evidence is accumulated, our investigators pass it on to our injury lawyers who build a strong case in our client’s favor.

Sacramento Auto Accident Attorney

I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento Auto Accident Attorney. Traffic accidents often cause injuries. However, if negligence caused those injuries, the individual may be able to claim fair compensation. This can be used to pay for their lost wages, medical bills and other expenses. If you would like to hear my free and friendly advice about your case, call me at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404-5400. I can be reached online also and will call you back.

I have helped Northern Californians obtain compensation for more than 37 years in different types of car accidents, traumatic injuries, and other negligence cases such as wrongful deaths.

I am a member of the following organizations: 

You can discover more about my law firm by looking over cases we have handled and client reviews at:

Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/crime-scene-do-not-cross-signage-923681/

:cd llo [cs 806]

Contact Information