State Route 116 Highway Crash Fatality Involving Multiple Vehicles
A highway crash along State Route 116 in Sonoma County between four vehicles resulted in the death of one person. The collision occurred in Lakeville along westbound State Route 116 near Stage Gulch Road. The accident involved three sedans and a moving truck, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
Major Injuries Occur in Highway Crash in Addition to a Fatality
The report of the incident said the moving truck that was involved was going east on the highway. All three of the sedans were going west. In addition to the fatality, major injuries were reported in the collision. The CHP traffic crash unit is investigating to determine fault and how the accident occurred.
Highway Crash Fatality Cases and Wrongful Death
The immediate family members of those who die due to the negligence of motorists or others as a highway crash fatality may file a claim for wrongful death. A traffic collision attorney can determine whether wrongful death claims are supported by evidence. Police reports, traffic camera footage, witness statements, medical records, and accident scene pictures are among the evidence a lawyer collects.
Fatalities and the Need for Legal Assistance
Having the assistance of an experienced wrongful death lawyer is essential to making a successful negligence claim for a highway crash fatality in California. An attorney has the resources and experience to gather evidence and analyze its strengths to ensure that all aspects of your case are considered. Knowing your legal rights and how to pursue a successful claim is essential.
Getting Compensation from Wrongful Death Suits in California
The following compensation can be recovered through wrongful death actions under California law:
- Expenses related to burial and funerals can be recouped.
- As well as the deceased’s earnings until retirement age, pensions, insurance, and other benefits can be recovered.
- The spouse may be able to recover damages for the loss of love, moral support and consortium they lost due to the highway crash fatality.
- Advice, love, protection, and moral support the family’s children received that was provided by the deceased can be compensated.
- There may be household services that the deceased provided, such as taking care of the lawn, vehicles, children, home and others. These losses can be estimated since the spouse may have to pay someone to do those chores.
- When an at-fault party acted egregiously or intentionally caused the death, they may be liable for punitive damages. This may occur if the case goes to trial. However, your injury attorney can let you know whether your family might be able to recover punitive damages in your case.
Personal Injuries and Recovering Compensation
Those who suffer injuries in a collision caused by a negligent driver may be able to recover damages by filing a personal injury claim. Recoverable compensation in these cases can include all medical expenses, lost wages and damages for pain and suffering. As in a wrongful death case, your lawyer can investigate the accident, gather the evidence to support your claim and negotiate the settlement with the insurers.
Here are a few tips from personal injury lawyer Ed Smith that can help you pick a suitable attorney:
Novato Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith. I am a Novato personal injury lawyer. When a motorist causes the death of a loved one, a wrongful death claim can be filed. Call (415) 521-2515 for free, friendly advice from our compassionate and knowledgeable accident attorneys. If you need to reach us by phone, contact our accident attorneys at (800) 404-5400 or message us online.
We have helped others in many ways through our injury lawyers, including:
These are a few of the organizations to which we belong:
Photo attribution: Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay
:cd llo [cs 643]