Sunrise Avenue Site of Head-on Intersection Accident
On January 8, a head-on collision injured at least one person in Elk Grove. The accident involved three vehicles at Sunrise Avenue and Kiefer Boulevard around 3:16 in the afternoon, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP). It involved a Toyota Tacoma pickup, Toyota Prius, and another vehicle. One person was transported to Kaiser Permanente South Sacramento Medical Center with unreported injuries.
Intersection Remains Closed for an Hour to Clear Accident Scene
Northbound lanes were reopened approximately an hour later when the scene was cleared. At least two of the vehicles had to be removed by tow trucks. The accident is under investigation by the CHP to find out how it occurred and to place fault.
Obtaining Compensation After a Traffic Accident
My law office is highly experienced in handling claims caused by a head-on or intersection collision. Our injury attorneys have successfully handled many of these claims and might be able to do the same for you. In this way, the injured person may recover damages for their medical expenses, lost wages from being unable to work and recover compensation for their pain and suffering.
The Dangers of an Intersection Accident
Intersections account for about 40 percent of all traffic collisions. Among the most common types of accidents that occur at intersections are:
- A head-on collision: These types of accidents happen when one vehicle tries to make a left turn in front of an oncoming car or makes an illegal U-turn.
- Rear-end crashes: Rear-end collisions generally happen while one motorist is waiting at the intersection for the light to change, and another driver crashes into the rear of their vehicle. Often, the driver to the rear is either intoxicated or distracted. At other times, the driver may be speeding and unable to stop in time before crashing into the vehicle in front.
- Right-turn accidents: Drivers can get frustrated waiting to make a right-hand turn and risk turning without having a clear view of the oncoming traffic. In some cases, this is because foliage is obscuring the driver’s view. In others, other vehicles may be blocking the view.
- Malfunctioning traffic lights: If a traffic light is not functioning properly or at all, drivers can become confused about when their turn is to go forward. Others may simply ignore the right to yield and try to force their way through an intersection. These types of situations often cause accidents.
Causes of a Head-on Collision
A head-on collision can certainly happen at an intersection. However, most of them are caused by wrong-way drivers, who are negligent. A head-on collision can also occur for the following reasons:
- Entrance and exit ramps on highways: This is a major reason that a head-on crash can occur. Usually, it is caused by a driver who is intoxicated either by alcohol or drugs. However, it can also happen because the driver is fatigued or distracted. Elderly drivers can also make this mistake. Poor signage by the government entity in charge of the roadways can be at fault.
- Rural roads: Improper passing is another cause of a head-on collision on rural roads. Passing in a no-passing zone or when there is no clear view ahead is almost an invitation for this type of accident, which can cause serious injuries and fatalities.
- One-way streets: Although serious injuries and fatalities from a wrong-way driver on a one-way street are less likely, they still occur.
Elk Grove Personal Injury Lawyers
I am Ed Smith, and I’m an Elk Grove personal injury lawyer. Traffic collisions can result in an innocent person being injured by another’s negligent actions. If this happened to you, you may want to call me for my free, friendly advice. You can reach me at (916) 694-0002 or through the long-distance, free line at (800) 404-5400. An online message form is available also.
Many people from Elk Grove and the rest of Northern California have been helped by my firm to get the compensation they deserve since 1982 for their wrongful death cases, traumas such as brain injuries, and all types of traffic accidents.
I’m a proud member of the following groups:
Learn more about how my law firm has helped others at the links below:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/car-accident-broken-glass-splatter-337764/
:cd llo [cs 739]