Bicycle Injury Crash Reported on Roseville Parkway
A bicycle injury crash occurred on February 15 in Granite Bay which hospitalized the rider. The collision occurred between a Toyota Rav and the rider around 10:12 a.m. along eastbound Roseville Parkway just west of Barton Road. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP) report, the vehicle and rider were found on the right-hand side of the roadway following the collision.
Bicyclist Exported to Hospital With Injuries
Emergency responders with the Placer County Fire Department exported the injured bicycle rider to Sutter Roseville Medical Center for treatment and additional evaluation. According to the CHP, the bicycle injury accident is currently under investigation.
Reasons Why a Negligent Motorist Causes a Bicycle Injury Crash
There are many reasons why a negligent motorist might strike a bicyclist. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Distracted driving: The motorist may have been texting, talking on the phone, adjusting the radio or engaging in any other distracting behavior while driving. This can cause the driver to not notice the bicyclist in their vicinity.
- Failure to yield: The motorist may have failed to yield to the bicyclist, either at a stop sign, crosswalk or intersection.
- Speeding: The motorist may have been driving too fast, which can reduce the amount of time they have to react to the presence of a bicyclist.
- Driving under the influence: The motorist may have been under the influence of drugs or alcohol, which can impair their judgment and reaction time.
- Aggressive driving: The motorist may have been driving aggressively, such as tailgating, cutting off the bicyclist or honking excessively, which can put the rider in danger.
- Lack of awareness: The motorist may simply not have been paying attention to their surroundings, and failed to notice the rider until it was too late to avoid a bicycle injury crash.
- Poor visibility: The motorist may not have been able to see the bicyclist due to poor visibility conditions, such as fog, rain or darkness.
It is important for all drivers to be aware of these potential causes of a bicycle injury crash and to take appropriate steps to avoid them, especially when sharing the road with bicyclists.
What Damages Can a Rider Recover When a Negligent Driver Caused Their Bicycle Injury Crash?
A Granite Bay bicyclist who has been injured by a negligent driver may be entitled to recover damages for their losses. Some of the damages that a California bicyclist may be able to recover include:
- Medical expenses: This includes the cost of medical treatment, hospitalization, rehabilitation and any ongoing care or therapy that the bicyclist may need as a result of their injuries.
- Lost income: If the bicyclist is unable to work due to their injuries, they may be able to recover lost income, including wages, benefits and other forms of compensation.
- Pain and suffering: This includes compensation for the physical and emotional pain and suffering that the bicyclist has experienced as a result of the accident and their injuries.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: If the rider is unable to enjoy the activities they once engaged in due to their injuries, they may be able to recover damages for the loss of enjoyment of life.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, the court may award punitive damages to punish the negligent driver for their reckless or willful misconduct.
To recover damages, the bicyclist must prove that the driver was negligent and that their negligence caused the accident and resulting injuries. It is important to consult with an experienced accident attorney who can help the bicyclist navigate the legal process and maximize their recovery.
Granite Bay Personal Injury Lawyer
I‘m Ed Smith, and I am a Granite Bay personal injury lawyer. Contact our injury lawyers for free and friendly advice if you were harmed in a bicycle crash caused by a negligent motorist to find out whether you can recover compensation. Call (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. If it is more convenient for you, you can use our online form.
Our memberships include the following organizations:
The following links provide more information about how the injury lawyers in our firm have helped others:
Photo attribution: Image by Rudy and Peter Skitterians from Pixabay
:cd llo