Glittery Phone Case Burns Child

Flames-1024x1024

Phone Case Burns Child

I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento products liability lawyer. A child’s phone case has allegedly caused a chemical burn and scarred her for life. The 9-year-old was in bed sleeping when the harmful pink glitter leaked on her leaving her with an iPhone 5c burn mark on her leg. The child, from Ware, Hertfordshire, bought the phone case decorated with rainbows and unicorns from a New Look store located in Cambridge. Her mother has been warning other parents via Facebook to be aware of the potential dangers from similar phone cases. Her post has gone viral and has been shared more than 40,000 times.

Details of Incident

The child’s mother said she doesn’t normally allow her daughter to have her phone in her room at night. However, the girl did have it in her room on this occassion. She was laying in her bed and had fallen asleep with the phone touching her leg. Her mother also said that her daughter came into her room in the middle of the night complaining about her leg hurting. She didn’t realize it was anything serious so she sent her back to bed. The following morning she saw a burn wound on her daughter’s leg. She was shocked that it was caused by a phone case.

Watch Youtube Video Schoolgirl left with iPhone shaped 3rd degree burns.

Severe Chemical Burn

A doctor said it appeared the child suffered a serious chemical burn which will possibly leave a scar for life.

The child has indicated she fell asleep with the phone in her pajama pant pocket. The next morning when she woke up she had a painful red burn on her thigh. Her mother is thankful that it did not happen while her daughter was talking on her phone, which could have caused facial scarring. Although the phone case had no visible crack in it, somehow the clear liquid had leaked out onto the child’s skin.

The mother of three stated that she had attempted to contact New Look’s customer service department three times. She has yet to receive a call back from the company.

Phone Case Pulled From Shelves

In a statement released from the high street fashion retailer they have announced that the phone case is being pulled from shelves in all retail locations. The mother of the burned child stated that the packaging of the case did not contain any type of safety warning cautioning users that the liquid contained inside the case could cause burns. She also expressed her concern regarding the amount of other girls like her daughter who have similar phone cases and have no idea that they can be dangerous.

A spokesman from New Look recently stated that they have spoken to the customer that was involved and takes these types of complaints extremely seriously. They also said that it is within their health and safety procedure to instruct all store locations to remove the questionable product. Their team has started an investigation with the supplier to understand and prevent this from happening again.

Sacramento Products Liability Lawyer

I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento Products Liability Lawyer. If you, or someone you love has been seriously hurt due to an unsafe or defective product, please call me today at (916) 921-6400 for free, friendly advice. I can be reached toll free if you are calling outside the Sacramento region at (800) 404-5400.

I have been handling personal injury and wrongful death cases exclusively for more than 30 years.

I’m a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. This forum is made up of top-rated trial attorneys in the United States with verdicts and settlements worth more than 1 Million Dollars.

See my past verdicts and settlements.

Read my client reviews on Yelp, Google and Avvo (the lawyer rating network)

Founder of www.autoaccident.com.

Image Attribution: Wikimedia Commons

:llo