Fresno Wrongful Death Claim: What You Need to Know
Obtaining information about a Fresno wrongful death claim is important when a family’s loved one has been lost in an accident caused by negligence. Beside the shock and grief that comes with the unexpected loss of a loved one, the family members left behind often experience financial difficulties because of the loss of income. At the following, we will explore how wrongful deaths can occur, damages that can be recovered and how a lawyer can help.
Causes of Wrongful Death
A Fresno wrongful death claim can arise in a number of different ways. What they have in common is that the individual’s death was caused by the negligence of another person or entity such as the county or state government. The most common ways a wrongful death claim can arise include:
- Motor vehicle accidents, including trucks
- Premises liability such as slips and falls
- Medical malpractice
- Products liability such as a defective auto part
- Dog bites
- Intentional acts such as murder
- Workplace accidents
- Aviation accidents
- Incidents at events such as concerts or other public gatherings
- Accidents at amusement parks, swimming pools, etc.
Damages That Can Be Recovered in a Fresno Wrongful Death Claim
The spouse, putative spouse, children in the household that were supported by the decedent and any others dependent on the deceased person financially can join in a Fresno wrongful death claim as outlined in California Code of Civil Procedure 377.60. Some of the expenses that are recoverable include:
- Cost of a loved one’s funeral and burial
- Future earnings and other benefits that have been lost such as bonuses, pension, and health care coverage and insurance
- Lost inheritance, which would have accumulated had the loved one not expired
- Value of the services provided by the loved one such as child and lawn care, etc.
- Loss of consortium, which is the personal relationship the decedent had with a spouse or putative spouse
- Loss of guidance, care, love, companionship, and other non-monetary losses
Legal Assistance in a Fresno Wrongful Death Claim
Experienced legal assistance is necessary to recover fair compensation when a wrongful death has occurred. When a family has suffered a family member’s death, the assistance of a lawyer is invaluable to recovering the financial loss. While this will not touch on the grief and sense of loss the family members are experiencing, it can remove the burden of continuing on without the financial support the decedent provided. Some of the ways a personal injury lawyer helps is by:
- Evaluating the available evidence such as police reports, eyewitness accounts, video footage when present and medical analyses
- Conducting an independent investigation
- Consulting with expert witnesses
- Employing the use of accident reconstruction techniques
- Dealing with the insurance company on behalf of the family
- Filing the appropriate paperwork
- Gathering information to compile the family’s financial losses
Related Article by Fresno Wrongful Death Lawyer Ed Smith:
Fresno Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Fresno wrongful death lawyer. Grief at the untimely loss of a loved one can be tremendous and is only amplified by the financial difficulty the family can face. If you have lost your dear one because of negligence, you might be able to place a Fresno wrongful death claim to recover damages. You can reach me for compassionate, free and friendly advice at (559) 377-7676 or through my toll-free line at (800) 404-5400. Many people like to contact me by using the online form at AutoAccident.com because it is quick and easy.
I’m a member of the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. This group is by invitation only for the small percentage of lawyers who have exhibited the highest standards in the legal profession. In addition, I’m a proud member of Million Dollar Advocates, which bases its membership on trial lawyers who have obtained more than $1 million for a client.
I have been privileged to have served the people of Fresno and Northern California for 37 years to obtain just compensation in injuries such as brain trauma, all types of motor vehicle crashes and pedestrian accidents.
You are welcome to find out more about my law practice by reading reviews left by my clients and looking over prior cases and how they concluded at:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/girl-nature-sorrow-tree-portrait-3877728/
:cd ds [cs 735] cv