Fatal Sacramento Off Ramp Accident
I’m Ed Smith, a car accident lawyer in Sacramento. A single-vehicle crash on April 1 claimed the life of a woman on a Highway 99 off-ramp in the early morning hours. We send our prayers and sympathy to the woman’s loved ones in their time of loss.
The accident happened shortly before 3:00 in the morning along North Highway 99 when the woman’s older model Toyota RAV went off the roadway. It was reported by a representative of the California Highway Patrol (CHP) that the vehicle had been traveling fast when the crash occurred. According to the report, when the vehicle left the road, it struck a tree and might have hit a light pole.
Vehicle Fire Causes Closure of Off-Ramp
The crash caused the vehicle to roll over several times. It finally came to a stop right side up part way down the highway off-ramp when it caught on fire, becoming fully engulfed. The off-ramp was closed for about two hours while authorities investigated the accident scene.
Coroner’s Office Information
The identity of the woman who died in the crash has not been released by the coroner’s office pending notification of relatives. A report released by the CHP stated that she suffered blunt force trauma from the force of the collision. She was wearing a seat restraint at the time of the accident.
Single Vehicle Crashes
Crashes involving a single vehicle are common accidents and are generally due to driver error but not always. Some of the reasons for single vehicle accidents are as follows:
- Speeding is a major cause of both single vehicle and off-road accidents and can cause serious injuries or fatalities.
- Drowsy driving or falling asleep at the wheel account for 21 percent of all accidents resulting in fatalities, according to the American Automobile Association.
- Distracted driving can include talking or texting on a phone, eating or drinking in the vehicle, changing the radio station or other activities that remove the driver’s attention from the road.
- Lack of maintenance on a vehicle can result in a sudden breakdown or blown tire as well as brake problems.
- Adverse weather can cause single vehicle accidents if the driver doesn’t take weather conditions into consideration when driving.
- Drunk driving is always a danger. The legal limit for drunk driving involves those with a BAC level of 0.08 percent in California. Because drivers who are intoxicated have slower reflexes, poor judgment, and poorer muscle coordination, it is a major cause of many types of motor vehicle accidents, including single vehicle and off-road crashes. In 2016, 10,497 people lost their lives to drunk driving accidents around the nation.
- Road maintenance problems can cause accidents and may be due to poor signage, potholes, lack of guardrails and other defects.
Car Accident Lawyer in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a car accident lawyer in Sacramento. Losing a loved one to a single vehicle accident is a traumatic experience for the family. However, not all accidents of this type are the fault of the driver. When you’ve lost a member of the family because of a single vehicle/off-road accident, I can offer you free, friendly advice. Phone (916) 921-6400 here in Sacramento or (800) 404-5400 long-distance for assistance. In addition, I have a contact form online at AutoAccident.com.
Comments and/or reviews by previous clients can help when searching for legal representation. Find ours at:
To see some of our previous cases and the results we’ve obtained for our clients, please visit Verdicts & Settlements.
Million Dollar Forum is open only to trial lawyers who garnered verdicts or settlements for their clients totaling at least $1 million. I belong to the forum as a member from California.
I’ve been honored to have worked as a California injury lawyer since 1982, helping those with personal injuries in Sacramento and surrounding Northern California to get fair compensation in areas such as wrongful death and brain injuries.
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/aerial-photography-of-concrete-bridge-681347/
:cd [cs 690] bw cv