Fatal Sacramento Farm Tractor Accident
Fatal Sacramento Farm Tractor Accident – A motorist lost his life when he collided with a farm tractor in South Sacramento on October 3, 2018. The fatal collision occurred along eastbound State Route 104 at around 2:40 in the morning when a man, who was in a Toyota Camry, crashed head-on with the tractor. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), lanes were blocked for some time while the tractor accident was investigated. The driver of the tractor was unharmed and stayed at the accident scene to cooperate with officials. It is thought that neither drugs nor alcohol appeared to be a factor in the crash.
I would like to extend my deepest sympathy for family and friends who are mourning the loss of their loved one.
The Incidence of Farm Tractor Accidents
According to the National Agricultural Safety Database, the number of collisions between motor vehicles and farm tractors has increased. This is due to several reasons. As more people move to rural areas and commute to work in a larger town, drivers are more apt to pass tractors on the road. Many rural roads have been improved over the years, which means that speed limits increased. This makes it more likely that a motor vehicle will be in an accident with a farm tractor, which moves more slowly. Farmers also have plots of land that are not necessarily connected together. This means that a farmer may have to take a rural road more frequently to reach outlying acreage.
Farm Tractor Accidents
There are about 15,000 collisions reported annually that concern a motor vehicle and a farm tractor, according to the National Safety Council. The types of crashes that are most common are:
- Tractors being struck in the rear end. This type of accident can occur if a tractor is out of sight over a hill, and a motorist does not realize a piece of farm equipment is ahead. If the motor vehicle driver is going at a higher speed, he or she may be unable to stop in time to avoid an accident. A rear-end collision with a tractor is the most common type of accident and can cause serious injuries.
- Colliding with a tractor that is in the process of a left-hand turn is the second most common type of collision when a motorist is attempting to pass on a rural road.
- The least common type of a farm tractor accident is a head-on collision. This is generally caused when a motorist is passing another vehicle. Driver error such as drifting into the opposite lane, distracted driving or being intoxicated while behind the wheel of a car also can contribute to this type of collision with a farm tractor.
Liability in a Farm Tractor Accident
As in other types of car accidents, there are times when the driver of the tractor is at fault for a collision and causes a wrongful death. Examples include when:
- A tractor is stopped in the road.
- A tractor has been badly maintained with regard to brakes or tires, making it difficult for the operator to stop. Defects in brakes or tires can also contribute to a collision.
- A tractor hauling a wide load without taking appropriate safety measures.
- The tractor operator is driving unsafely.
- The operator of the tractor is inexperienced.
- Required lights, markings, and appropriate signage are missing.
- The tractor driver was using a cell phone at the time of an accident.
South Sacramento Car Accident Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a South Sacramento car accident lawyer. Traveling on rural roads can be hazardous, especially in farming areas where a motorist might collide with farm equipment. If this happened to you or to someone you love, I can offer you free and friendly advice. Please get in touch with me at (916) 921-6400 locally or at (800) 404-5400 if you are calling from outside the area. You are also welcome to use our contact form located on my website, AutoAccident.com.
As a Million Dollar Forum member, I belong to a group of other top trial lawyers who have obtained a verdict/settlement for a client in excess of $1 million.
Over my 36+ year career, I have helped numerous residents of South Sacramento and other parts of Northern California in obtaining fair compensation in all types of car accidents, wrongful death cases, and catastrophic brain injuries.
You can learn more about my legal practice by visiting the following sites, which contain client reviews and information about some of our prior cases:
Sacramento Farm Tractor Accident: AutoAccident.com
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/oldtimer-tractors-tractor-mf-3620848/ Sacramento Farm Tractor Accident.
:cd cha [cs 794] cv