Vehicle Causes Pedestrian Fatality on North 12th Street
A fatal pedestrian accident occurred in Sacramento on July 16 after a man on foot was struck by a motor vehicle. The accident report by the Sacramento Police Department said the collision occurred shortly before 3:00 in the morning on North 12th Street, where it intersects with B Street north of downtown. As of the time of this report, no information has been released on what caused the accident.
Drunk Driving Not Suspected in Fatal Pedestrian Accident
Police investigating the accident did say that drunk driving was not a factor in the pedestrian accident. All northbound lanes along 12th Street were closed to traffic while an investigation into the collision was conducted. The road reopened around 7:15 a.m.
Filing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit Following a Pedestrian Fatality Accident
Family members are often left grief-stricken when a loved one dies. They wonder why it happened and are angry and confused that the fatal accident occurred. At AutoAccident.com, we’ve helped many families to obtain compensation for their loved one’s loss over the years. Although it doesn’t address their grief, it can help relieve the financial difficulties.
Damages That Can Be Recovered Following a Fatal Pedestrian Accident
If the pedestrian accident fatality was due to a negligent motorist or for some other reason, the immediate family of the deceased may claim the following:
- Wages the decedent would have earned in the future up to retirement age, including pension and health benefits
- Recovery of the cost of end-of-life expenses
- The decedent’s spouse can place a claim for the loss of affection, consortium, and emotional support that was provided
- Loss of inheritance
- Loss by the children in the family of their parent’s care, training, and guidance
- Household services lost by the death of the family member, such as chores performed around the house.
Investigating a Fatal Pedestrian Accident
Wrongful deaths are like other personal injury cases in that evidence has to be collected to prove that another party or entity was to blame for the lost life. Most wrongful deaths occur due to a traffic accident. However, there are other causes, including slip and fall accidents, medical malpractice, product liability cases, and dog bites. The investigation is important in establishing the cause of a fatal pedestrian accident and others such as:
- Our investigators examine the site of the fatal pedestrian accident, take photos and perform accident reconstruction, which shows how the collision happened and can indicate who was at fault.
- The report by the police is checked to ensure its accuracy.
- The investigators interview any witnesses to the fatal pedestrian accident to take their statements.
- Traffic surveillance cameras are examined in the area to see if any of them captured the accident.
Our injury attorneys use the evidence that has been gathered to fashion a robust case that supports our client’s claim.
Sacramento Wrongful Death Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Sacramento wrongful death lawyer. When a family has lost a loved one because of a negligent driver, they may want to place a wrongful death claim. If you would like information on whether your family can file, options open to you, and to have your questions answered, we offer a free and friendly case review when you call us at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. If you prefer, we can be contacted online by sending us a message.
We are honored to have helped many Sacramentans obtain compensation following a wrongful death, injuries caused by all types of traffic accidents and traumas, and others since 1982.
We’re proud members of the groups that follow, in addition to others:
Find more information about our law firm and how we’ve helped others below:
Photo attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/candle-light-candlelight-flame-2038736/
:cd llo [cs 648]