Pedestrian Accident Reported on SR 99 Near Calvine Road
A pedestrian accident resulting in a fatality occurred near Elk Grove on February 2. The collision happened on State Route 99 southbound, close to Calvine Road, at about 6:51 p.m. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that a male pedestrian was crossing the roadway when he was hit by two vehicles and died.
Two Cars Strike Walker, Causing Fatal Pedestrian Accident
The pedestrian, 53-year-old Amarjit Sanghera, an Elk Grove resident, suffered traumatic injuries after being struck by a Honda and a Chrysler. According to one of the drivers involved in the fatal collision, the pedestrian had on dark clothing, which made it hard for motorists to see him.
Multiple-Vehicle Pedestrian Accident Factors
People who are walking when they are involved in accidents often sustain serious injuries, or even lose their lives. The number of pedestrian collisions is far too high. An accident can be caused by a negligent driver or by certain conditions. The following factors often contribute to these types of collisions:
- Impaired drivers: Intoxicated or drugged drivers have sluggish reflexes, impaired judgment and difficulty judging distances. This makes it more likely they would not spot a pedestrian in the roadway or crossing the street.
- Distractions: An accident involving a pedestrian occurs when a driver is distracted such as changing the radio station or texting while driving. If the vehicle was traveling at highway speeds, it would take just over five seconds to drive the length of a football field.
- Driving fatigued: When a driver is fatigued, their reflexes slow and their judgment is impaired, resulting in pedestrian accidents similar to those caused by drunk drivers.
- Speeding: Speeding not only increases the risk of a pedestrian accident but makes it more likely the person on foot will be killed.
- Tailgating: Tailgating can lead to the injury or death of a pedestrian when one driver rear-ends another at an intersection. This can result in the first vehicle being pushed into the crosswalk or intersection where a pedestrian is crossing.
- Roadway negligence: An accident involving a pedestrian can be caused by poor road maintenance. A driver loses control when the vehicle hits a pothole,veers into another lane and strikes someone on foot. An entity responsible for maintenance may be liable if an accident results in an injury or death. The six-month filing deadline for claims against government entities, however, may make it worth your while to hire an attorney.
My team of accident attorneys and I have helped many injured individuals obtain fair compensation for the losses they have suffered due to the negligence of others for many years.
Elk Grove Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove car accident lawyer. You can receive free legal advice from a wrongful death lawyer with our firm if your loved one died in an accident that was not your fault. If you would like free and friendly advice about filing a wrongful death claim, please call us at (916) 694-0002 or (800) 404-5400. Besides being available in person, we are also available online. To learn about your rights from one of our accident attorneys to recover compensation for your injuries and other losses, you can set up a free online or virtual consultation.
We are members of the following organizations:
In addition, here are a few examples of how our injury lawyers have helped others obtain fair compensation for their injuries:
:cd llo