Motorcyclist Crashes Into On-Ramp Wall at Antelope Road On-Ramp
A motorcycle crash in Citrus Heights on June 10 ended in the death of the rider. The collision occurred on the westbound Antelope Road on-ramp to westbound I-80 at around 9:00 a.m. The report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) stated that the motorcycle struck the on-ramp wall near the top.
Investigation Underway to Determine Cause of Fatal Motorcycle Crash
The Sacramento County Coroner was called to the scene to declare the rider deceased. The Citrus Heights Police Department put out a media release advising motorists of lane closures due to the incident. An investigation by the CHP is ongoing to determine what made the motorcyclist lose control and crash.
Causes of a Fatal Motorcycle Crash
Motorcycle riders are vulnerable when around passenger vehicles and big rigs due to their lack of protection. Some of the reasons a fatal accident can occur on an on-ramp include:
- A motorist was speeding on the on-ramp and struck the motorcycle in a rear-end collision.
- A driver began to change lanes while on a ramp, which forced the motorcycle into the wall.
- A distracted driver, who was texting or talking on a cell phone, didn’t notice they were about to run into the motorcyclist until it was too late.
- An intoxicated driver was weaving in the lanes and crashed into the motorcycle rider.
- A defect in the motorcycle led to the accident. When this occurs, the manufacturer may be held responsible by filing a product liability claim. For this reason, it is important to retain the motorcycle, so it can be examined for defects.
Wrongful Death Lawsuits
For a family to lose a loved one in a motorcycle crash is heartbreaking, painful and confusing. Families dealing with the death of a loved one who was killed by a careless driver often feel anger in addition to grief. Claiming compensation is far from their minds. Eventually, especially if the individual who died provided for his or her family, they may quickly realize that the financial stress has greatly exacerbated their problems.
Recoverable Damages in Wrongful Death Claims
The immediate family members, including the spouse, children, etc., can file a wrongful death lawsuit. This is not only an effective way to alleviate their financial stress but also a means of restitution for their loss. Among the damages that are recoverable are:
- Funeral costs and burial expenses can be recovered.
- Until retirement age, the deceased’s earnings are recoverable. Insurance benefits, pensions, bonuses and other job perks are included.
- In addition to claiming damages for loss of consortium, the spouse can claim the future lack of support and affection as well.
- The loss of inheritance may be recoverable in some claims, which is what the beneficiaries would have inherited had the loved one lived.
- If their parent died in an accident caused by someone’s negligence, the children in the family can recover damages for the loss of guidance, moral support and nurturing.
- Families can be reimbursed for household services lost due to the death of a loved one, such as chores around the house.
Citrus Heights Personal Injury & Wrongful Death Lawyers
My name is Ed Smith, and I’m a Citrus Heights wrongful death attorney. When your loved one died because of the negligence of a motorist or other entity, the family may want to find out about placing a claim for wrongful death. We can be contacted for our friendly and free advice at (916) 921-6400. You can also reach us at (800) 404-5400 or by sending us an online message.
Check out the links below to see how our injury lawyers have helped other clients get the compensation they deserve:
Membership in the following groups is an honor for us:
:cd llo