Driver Dies on California Pacific Road in Train Crash
A train crash with a motor vehicle in Elmira near Vacaville on January 19 caused a fatality. The accident happened at about 12:30 p.m. at Elmira and California Pacific Road. Firefighters with the Vacaville Fire Protection District arrived at the scene to report that the vehicle struck was completely ablaze, and the driver died in the crash. An investigation is underway to determine what happened.
Railroad Accident Compensation – What You Need to Know After a Train Crash
The railroad industry has a high rate of accidents. Although pedestrians, drivers and others may be at fault, there can also be negligence by the railway, which can result in serious collisions and fatalities. Even if the railroad is at fault for a train crash, they may blame pedestrians or drivers despite their negligence. With our experience handling railroad-related claims involving pedestrians, motorists and under the Federal Employees Liability Act (FELA) and other injury laws, we have successfully handled cases on a variety of fronts.
Railroad Company Negligence-Related Accidents
The railroad company can be held liable for a train crash due to a variety of factors, including:
- Railroad crossings that are not maintained or are defective
- Railroad tracks that are unmaintained or defective
- Unprotected railroad crossings
- Accidents involving train derailments
- An engineer who speeds or fails to warn when approaching a crossing
- Hazardous working conditions
Filing a Wrongful Death Compensation Claim
In the event that someone dies in a train crash as a result of negligence, their family may seek compensation. In the aftermath of a death, it may not ease the family member’s grief, but it may help them avoid the financial burden of end-of-life expenses and income lost due to the loss of a loved one. A wrongful death lawsuit can be filed by a family member if they lived with or were dependent on the deceased for at least 50 percent of the time.
A claim may also be filed by the estate’s administrator. It is, however, only possible to submit one claim, so the estate administrator and family members should decide who will handle it. There are several areas where compensation is available:
- Costs associated with burials and funerals can be recovered.
- Reimbursement is made of wages, pensions and other funds earned by the decedent until retirement age. If the decedent was self-employed, that amount might also be recovered by supplying employer statements and tax returns to support the claim.
- There are some cases in which the loss of inheritance can be recouped.
- The termination of the private relationship between spouses can be compensated as a loss of consortium.
- It is possible for their children to recover their loss of guidance and nurturing from a deceased parent.
- A loss of household help can be recovered.
Sacramento Train Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, and I am a Sacramento train accident lawyer. Rail companies, track owners, and manufacturers may all be responsible for train collisions. A wrongful death or personal injury claim may be available if you lost a loved one or were injured. By calling us at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400, you can speak with our accident attorneys who can offer you free and friendly advice regarding your case. Online contact is also available.
Below are a few examples of how our injury lawyers have helped many people recover fair compensation over the years:
Here are some of the memberships which we are honored to belong to:
Photo attribution: Image by Robert Owen-Wahl from Pixabay
:cd llo [cs 608]