Elk Grove Garbage Truck Accident Kills Toyota Driver
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove garbage truck accident lawyer. A fatal collision near Elk Grove between a motor vehicle and garbage truck occurred on Tuesday, June 12, resulting in the death of one woman and trapping a man inside the vehicle. Crews trained to handle hazardous materials were sent to the site because of diesel fuel spilling from the truck, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
I would like to send my prayers and sympathy to the family and friends of the woman who was killed in the collision for their tragic loss.
A spokesperson for the CHP reported that the accident happened around 1:00 in the afternoon along Wilton Road, north of Cosumnes River and on the south side of Grant Line Road. Apparently, the garbage truck moved down an embankment and struck the Toyota in which the woman received fatal injuries. As a result of this major collision, Wilton Road was closed between Green Road and Grant Line. Authorities with the CHP were at the scene, investigating the cause of the collision. Information on whether the trapped man was riding in the truck or in the vehicle with the woman has not been released.
Garbage Truck Collisions
Garbage and recycling trucks tend to be much shorter than tractor trailers. However, they still weigh around 33,000 pounds, and by the time they are loaded, that weight can approach 51,000 pounds. Garbage trucks also have blind spots, poor visibility, and lack rear-view mirrors. Drivers may be poorly trained or be rushing to meet a time schedule. Poor maintenance on these vehicles can also be a problem that can contribute to a crash. When involved in a collision with a much smaller, lighter vehicle, the occupants of that car will most likely suffer serious injuries or be killed in the accident.
Liability in a Garbage Truck Accident
In order to do their job, garbage truck drivers must maneuver these heavy trucks through residential and urban neighborhoods complete with cyclists, pedestrians, and other vehicles. This sets the stage for accidents of all kinds. Some examples are:
- Driver error: As with other commercial vehicles, drivers of garbage trucks are held to high standards. Behavior such as drunk or distracted driving or acting in a reckless fashion leads to accidents and liability. When a driver is found to be negligent, his or her employer can also be cited.
- Blind spots: Garbage trucks, like big rigs, have blind spots. The driver must be trained to learn how to navigate the truck in spite of these. The use of flashers and sound to warn others that the truck is about to move helps in this.
- Scheduling: Some companies put pressure on their drivers to finish the job quickly. This can lead to accidents due to lack of care when rushed. The garbage management company would be largely at fault in this case.
- City garbage haulers: In urban areas, some garbage trucks belong to the city. While the reasons for fault are unchanged, a claim must be filed against the city.
- Defective truck parts: If a truck part is defective, the manufacturer or designer of the part is liable. This falls under the auspices of products liability.
- Dangerous roads: Many times, city and rural roads are not in good repair and lead to conditions that promote garbage truck accidents. These include poor signage, faulty traffic signals and roadway problems such as potholes. The government entity in charge of the roads can be held responsible.
Elk Grove Garbage Truck Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove garbage truck accident lawyer. If you or your child has been injured by a garbage truck, you’ll require an experienced attorney to obtain the compensation you deserve. You can reach me at (916) 694-0002 or (800) 404-5400, or contact me online for friendly and free advice.
I belong to a forum of trial attorneys who have won verdicts and settlements in excess of $1 million for clients. You can read more about us at milliondollaradvocates.com.
When retaining a lawyer, it is crucial to learn about them and their practice. You can look over the following pages to learn about how I resolved cases, and see reviews from clients and peers:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/street-cleaning-garbage-disposal-188997/
:cd [cs 766] cv