Man Loses Life in Single-Car Accident in Dixon
On the morning of Thursday, April 29, 2021, a man was killed when his vehicle crashed into a cement structure adjacent to Interstate 80 in Dixon, California.
A spokesperson for the California Highway Patrol (CHP) stated that the man had been operating his vehicle, a sedan, on Oday Road. Oday is a frontage road in Dixon. A “frontage road” is one that runs parallel to the main highway – in this case, Interstate 80. For reasons yet unknown, the sedan veered left and crashed head-on into a cement bridge crossing. The crash happened at approximately 5:45 a.m. It was also revealed by the CHP that the man had not been wearing a seatbelt at the time of the impact.
The cause of the accident remains under investigation. It typically takes about two weeks to obtain a CHP traffic report.
Daily Accidents During the Morning Commute
Not only is the morning commute aggravating, but it can also be dangerous. Especially on our busy Northern California highways, when a lot of motorists are trying to get to work on time. Every morning on the news, there are reports of accidents on local roads and freeways. Below are some things to keep in mind to help make your morning commute safer.
Early Morning Driving Safety Tips
- Don’t Allow Distractions. While it is tempting to send a text or look at your phone when traffic is light or slow, it should absolutely be avoided. To resist temptation, keep your phone in the back seat or zipped in your bag.
- Obey all Signs, Signals, and Laws. That includes the speed limit and instructions for HOV lanes. Traffic laws and directional signs are designed to keep drivers safe. Regardless of how pressed for time you are, it is important to follow the rules.
- Leave Early. If you do not give yourself sufficient time to make it to work in the busy commute, you will feel even more hurried and anxious. When rushed and watching the clock, you may feel tempted to ignore traffic rules, putting you at a higher risk of an accident.
- Make Sure to Get Enough Sleep. This may seem in contradiction to our prior piece of advice, but it’s all about planning. Drowsy driving is a major cause of traffic accidents. Getting to work safely requires your full attention, especially because in the early morning, you are probably sharing the road with a number of fatigued drivers.
- Stay Aware and Alert. You have already removed your distractions; now make an effort to stay mindfully aware of other traffic and potential hazards on the roads. Certain movements can be anticipated. Keep a safe distance from other vehicles in order to give yourself time to react to any unexpected hazards.
- Don’t Speed. Excessive speed is the number one cause of fatal car crashes in California. This includes driving too fast for conditions, not just exceeding the speed limit. Assessing a safe speed goes hand-in-hand with staying alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Wear Your Seatbelt. Sadly, according to the CHP, the driver involved in this single-car accident in Dixon was not wearing a seatbelt. Doing so can greatly improve your chances of surviving a collision.
Watch the YouTube video. The clip below discusses how to find a trustworthy personal injury attorney when you need one.
Dixon Personal Injury Lawyer
Hello, and thank you for reading. I’m Ed Smith, a personal injury lawyer in Dixon, California. For close to four decades, my law firm has advocated on behalf of injured Northern Californians, including many Dixon residents. We have also helped many families who have lost a loved one to wrongful death. Our injury lawyers are available to offer free and friendly advice about your potential injury claim. If you have been injured in an accident, call us promptly at (800) 404-5400 or (707) 564-1900.
Our settlements and verdicts page provides more information about our firm, as do the client reviews accessible through the links below:
mm llo [cs 670]