Determining Fault in a Loomis CA Truck Accident
I’m Ed Smith, a Loomis Truck accident attorney. Deaths caused by collisions involving freight hauling trucks have been increasing since 2012. Considering there are almost four million tons of goods transported daily in California, accidents aren’t surprising. Due to the complexity of truck accidents, an experienced truck accident lawyer is necessary to help determine fault.
Driving Standards Are Elevated for Commercial Truck Drivers
Because of the size and weight of commercial trucks, injuries to others when they are in an accident are serious. Although a commercial driver’s license is required to operate a big truck in California, training is not, which may increase the risk of a crash. Drivers are required to conduct an extensive inspection of vehicles before taking to the road each day. The federal government and state government also have stringent regulations that must be followed.
Truck Accidents Cause Serious Injuries
Those who are injured in truck accidents can face medical bills with other expenses and lost time from work. While some injuries are more minor such as bruises, scrapes, and abrasions, others are more serious. They may include head injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damage, and internal injuries.
Commercial licenses come in A, B or C classifications. A Class A license is for those who drive tractor trailers or tanker trucks. The Class B license is for those who drive city buses, construction vehicles or delivery trucks. The Class C license is necessary for drivers of school buses, HAZMAT vehicles, and passenger vans. Drivers must also supply their driving record for the previous 10 years and take a medical exam to be licensed as a commercial driver, according to the California DMV.
Collecting Evidence After a Truck Crash
When there are truck accidents with injuries or that cause a death on the highway, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) investigates and files an accident report. There may also be witnesses to the crash who can testify about what happened. Those who are involved in a collision can gather their own information. If possible, take photos of the accident scene, the position of the vehicles and road evidence.
How a Truck Accident Lawyer Helps
Lawyers experienced in truck accident investigations can go much further in determining fault in a crash to build a case for compensation for serious injuries. This can include the following:
- Expert witness: A lawyer may use an expert witness, someone with special credentials and expertise, to testify on how the accident occurred and who was at fault.
- Driver log: Truck drivers are required by federal law to carry and maintain accurate logs. This shows their hours of service and stops along a route. By analyzing the log, it can be determined if the driver was speeding, ignoring required rest periods or in danger of drowsy driving.
- Black box data: Many large commercial trucks contain a black box that records data, which can include speed, when brakes are applied and other information.
- Accident reconstruction: Specialists in accident reconstruction gather information from the crash scene and vehicles. It is important to gather this information before repairs are made to the vehicles and other evidence disappears.
- Personnel records: Companies that employ truck drivers are required to keep accurate records of those employees. This can include records of complaints, alcohol and drug tests and background checks for employment. This can be a valuable source of information about a driver’s performance.
Loomis CA Truck Accident Attorneys
I’m Ed Smith, a Loomis Truck accident attorney. Truck accident injuries can be compensated financially when the truck driver or employing company is at fault. If you or your loved one suffered an injury, I can help with free and friendly legal advice. Phone me at (916) 921-6400 locally or long-distance at (800) 404-5400. At my website, AutoAccident.com, you will also find a contact form that’s quick and easy to fill out.
I belong to the national forum at Million Dollar Advocates.
Comments and reviews by prior clients along with some of our prior cases can be found at:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/accident-truck-cart-br-tumbled-101598/
:cd [cs 703] cv