Fatal Traffic Accident Involving Motorcyclist Occurs on I-80
A motorcyclist was killed in a traffic accident on February 18 while riding into Davis. Caltrans reported that the rider was struck along Interstate 80 westbound close to Mace Boulevard around 7:00 p.m. Traffic delays were reported and one lane was shut down due to the collision, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP) incident report. No additional information was provided on the cause of the collision. An investigation is being conducted by the CHP to determine how it occurred.
Causes by Motor Vehicle Drivers of Motorcycle Accidents on Highways
Motorcycle riders face more risks on highways than any other type of motor vehicle driver. Motorcyclists are often harder to see and can easily get lost in the crowd. Unfortunately, this makes them more vulnerable in traffic, increasing their chances of getting involved in an accident.
While motorcycle riders can take steps to stay safe on the roads, there are also certain behaviors that motor vehicle drivers should avoid to help reduce the number of motorcycle accidents on highways. The following is a list of some common causes of motorcycle accidents that are a result of motor vehicle driver negligence:
- Failing to pay attention – Distracted driving while looking at phones or radios is one of the most dangerous actions a motorist can take, putting motorcyclists in an especially vulnerable position.
- Failing to yield – A motor vehicle driver who fails to yield the right of way to motorcycles can cause a serious traffic accident, either by running them off the road or colliding with them head-on.
- Tailgating – Tailgating a motorcycle rider is dangerous, as it gives them less time to react and avoid potential obstacles in the road that they may not have been aware of beforehand.
- Unsafe lane changes – Making sudden and unsafe lane changes without checking for a nearby motorcycle rider can also lead to a dangerous traffic collision on a highway.
- Speeding – Driving well above the speed limit can greatly increase the chances of a traffic accident happening, especially with motorcycle riders who rely heavily on their maneuvering skills to avoid danger.
- Driving under the influence – Impaired drivers are a major cause of severe accidents for motorcyclists due to their inability to make sound decisions and maintain control over their vehicle.
- Unsafe passing – Passing a motorcycle rider too closely or without making sure there is enough space can easily result in an accident if the rider needs to make any sudden maneuvers.
If your loved one died in a traffic accident because of a negligent driver, the family may be able to file a wrongful death claim to recover damages. Although it will not ease your grief, it can help avoid financial stress and bring a sense of justice for their loss by holding the negligent party responsible.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Davis
I’m Ed Smith. I’m a personal injury lawyer in Davis. A wrongful death claim may be available to your family if you lose a loved one as a result of another driver’s negligence. For free and friendly advice on whether you can file a claim, contact us at the following: (530) 392-9400 and (800) 404-5400. One of our accident attorneys can review your case and provide you with information about your rights and opportunities for compensation during a free consultation either at our office or virtually. We are also available online.
Being accepted as members of the following organizations is a great honor for us:
Photo attribution: Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay
:cd llo  bw