Accident at I-80 Exit Ramp Injures Driver
An injury was reported in a semi collision with a passenger vehicle on January 7 in Davis. The accident occurred around 2:22 p.m. along westbound I-80 near the Mace Boulevard off-ramp. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) incident report stated that the driver of a Toyota Prius missed their exit and ended up crashing into the trailer being hauled by a semi.
The semi ended up on the right-hand side of the highway, while the Prius was in the center divider. In addition to CHP, Davis police officers were at the scene of the collision. Medics with the Davis Fire Department concluded that minor injuries had occurred in the crash.
Determining Fault in a Semi Collision Can Be Complex
In the above semi collision, it was the driver of the passenger vehicle who was negligent. However, accidents involving large commercial vehicles occur frequently and often result in serious injuries. Because large commercial vehicles have to abide by state and federal regulations, it makes collecting the evidence to support an injury claim more complicated.
In addition, the driver may be an independent operator or work for a trucking company, which might also be liable. This is why it is a good idea to enlist the help of an injury lawyer when you’ve been injured in a semi collision.
Types of Collisions Involving a Big Truck
Big rigs, because of their much larger weight and size than that of a passenger vehicle, handle differently, need a much larger distance to stop and are more difficult to maneuver. Some of the kinds of a semi collision that can occur that impact a smaller vehicle include:
- Disobeying state and federal regulations: Regulations dictate the hours of service in which a driver can be behind the wheel of a big rig and also mandate rest breaks. The electronic logging device records those hours, which can be checked to see if they were violated.
- Poor training: Driving a big rig is much more difficult with its 13 to 18 gears, air brakes and poor visibility. Because of the long driver shortage, some companies resort to hiring drivers who are poorly trained, and this can easily lead to a semi-collision.
- Blind spots: Blind spots are a major problem for truckers because other drivers may not realize that it is dangerous to drive near them. Big rigs have large blind spots all the way around, especially along the sides of the trailer, so switching lanes, speeding up or slowing down can result in a semi collision with another vehicle.
- Poorly loaded cargo: When cargo inside a trailer being pulled by a big rig is carelessly loaded or overloaded, it can lead to a rollover semi collision, which can impact other vehicles.
- Jackknifing: Jackknifing occurs when the truck’s cab is moving more slowly than the trailer it is pulling. This often happens on slippery roads, when rounding a sharp curve or going down a steep hill. Because the trailer swings out to the side, it can impact other vehicles.
- Override/underride accidents: This type of semi collision can happen when a truck stops suddenly or is speeding and goes over the top of another vehicle.
How We Help Our Semi Collision Clients
Over the years we’ve served the people of Northern California, we have successfully obtained compensation for many injured clients and those who lost loved ones due to wrongful death. We carefully examine the evidence to determine what party/parties are liable for damages, so our clients get the compensation that they deserve.
Davis Truck Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Davis truck accident lawyer. When you’ve been injured in a collision, the at-fault party can be held responsible for your medical bills, lost wages and your pain and suffering. We can offer you free and friendly advice if you contact us at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400. An online contact form is available also.
Discover how our legal team has helped others at the following links:
We are honored to belong to the groups that follow:
Since 1982, our injury lawyer team and I have helped many Davis residents in obtaining fair compensation following a truck accident and all other kinds of traffic crashes.
:cd llo