Cyclist Critically Injured in Modesto Bicycle Accident
A female cyclist was critically injured in a Modesto bicycle accident on the night of July 10, 2019. The bike crash occurred around 8:00 p.m. at the intersection of 5th Street and I Street in downtown Modesto. A woman was riding her bicycle in the area when she was struck by a Nissan Sentra. The impact of the collision caused serious injuries to the woman, who was transported to the hospital for treatment. Officials have not yet released additional information regarding her condition.
How Do Most Modesto Bicycle Accidents Happen?
A collision between a vehicle and a cyclist is often caused by the motorist’s negligent actions. Some of the common ways that drivers cause bicycle riders to suffer traumatic injuries or wrongful death include:
- Distracted Driving: Drivers are responsible for giving their full attention to the road. When they are looking at their GPS, adjusting the radio, or texting on a cell phone, they lose concentration of what’s in front of them. This can put a bicycle rider in a dangerous situation, particularly when the driver veers into the bicycle lane or makes an unsafe turn into a cyclist.
- Dooring: This happens when an occupant of a vehicle parked on the side of the road opens their door directly in the path of an oncoming cyclist. The opened door may block the bicycle rider’s path. This can force a cyclist to stop, crash into the occupant or door, or veer into opposing traffic.
- Impairment: An intoxicated motorist has reduced cognitive and motor skills. This increases the chances that they may not be able to react in time to avoid a crash with a cyclist.
- Speeding: Traveling at high speeds may compromise a driver’s reaction time and vehicle control in an emergency situation. The force of the impact involved in a collision with a car can leave an unsuspecting cyclist with catastrophic injuries.
How Will My Personal Injury Damages Be Paid?
After a bicycle accident, an injured cyclist needs to file a third-party claim with the negligent motorist’s insurance carrier for reimbursement of bike property damage, lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering. However, bicycle accident cases are not always resolved promptly. They can take months or even years, depending on the cyclist’s length of treatment and whether liability for the collision is being disputed. In these cases, seeking the advice of an experienced Modesto personal injury lawyer can prove invaluable. An attorney can advise you of your legal rights and options before contacting the insurance company directly. For information on how to choose a reputable personal injury attorney, watch the following video.
How to Prove Negligence in a Modesto Bicycle Accident
- Duty of Care: The motorist had a duty of care to operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner
- Breach of Duty: The driver violated or breached their duty of care owed to the cyclist
- Causation: As a result of the breach of duty, the cyclist was involved in a bicycle accident with the negligent driver
- Damages: The cyclist has suffered injuries and damages as a result of the bike accident
How a Lawyer Can Help in a Bicycle Accident Case
A catastrophic bicycle accident not only affects the injured cyclist but that individual’s family and sometimes well beyond. Insurance companies often use a cyclist’s vulnerability in these situations by using tactics to limit the amount they pay for a claim. Having an experienced injury lawyer at your side in these cases is critical. An attorney can collect and preserve vital evidence to prove liability in your case. Your lawyer will also negotiate with insurance companies to ensure you receive a fair settlement for your losses.
Modesto Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto personal injury lawyer. Car accidents frequently occur on Modesto roads. However, people who are struck while riding a bicycle are less likely to walk away from a collision than a driver of a vehicle. Since drivers are obligated to follow the rules of the road, they may be held financially responsible for a bicycle accident they have caused and damages incurred. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a bicycle accident due to the fault of another, please call me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive my free, friendly case advice.
You are welcome to take a look at our client comments and reviews at:
The National Association of Distinguished Counsel is an invitation-only group that permits membership to less than one percent of attorneys nationwide. Members of this group are deemed to exhibit high standards of excellence in their legal practice. I am also a member of the Million Dollar Advocates, a forum that is comprised of top trial attorneys who have helped their clients recover $1 million or more through a case verdict or settlement.
Our law office handles all negligence cases involving personal injury and wrongful death with the utmost care and diligence to ensure our clients receive fair compensation. To see how we have helped our past clients with their cases, go to our Verdicts and Settlements page.
:ds llo [cs 888]