Common Injuries Sustained in a Davis Bicycle Accident
Bicycling has been a significant part of Davis (as well as other parts of California) for decades. Despite some of the innovative measures Davis has taken to make its city more accessible and safe for bicyclists, there have been few advances made by any public or private entity that has made bicycling-related injuries any less severe. In fact, many of the same injuries that plagued some of Davis’s first bicyclists in the 1960s and 1970s are still plaguing modern cyclists. Modern bicyclists (like those in years past) whose injuries are caused by the negligent or careless actions of another are able to seek compensation from the at-fault party.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
The severity of a bicyclist’s injuries in the aftermath of a crash will depend on a number of factors that may or may not be within the bicyclist’s control. One of the primary considerations is what type of accident in which the bicyclist is involved: a bicyclist who collides with or is struck by a moving car will obviously suffer more serious injuries than one who strikes a curb and tips over. Other relevant factors include:
- The bicyclist’s age, general health, and any preexisting conditions;
- The surface onto which the bicyclist falls (cement, asphalt, grass, or some other surface);
- If the bicyclist simply falls off his or her bike or if he or she is thrown off of the bicycle;
- What objects, if any, the bicyclist strikes in addition to the ground (i.e., another car, a person, a road sign, etc.);
- How quickly the bicyclist receives medical attention; and/or
- Any protective equipment the bicyclist is wearing and the quality of this equipment.
Bicyclists involved in a bicycling accident in Davis may face:
- Cuts, lacerations, scrapes, and/or “road rash”;
- Bruises and internal bleeding or internal injuries;
- Puncture-type wounds if glass or other sharp objects become embedded in the cyclist’s skin;
- Groin and pelvic injuries if the bicyclist is straddling the bicycle and is pressed against the bicycle’s frame;
- Broken bones in the bicyclist’s arms, legs, hands, and/or feet;
- Amputation/loss of limb if a body part becomes pressed or crushed between two surfaces;
- Crush injuries;
- Infections caused by foreign substances entering the body through open wounds.
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Neck and spine injuries;
- Traumatic brain injuries; and/or
- Death (in some extreme cases).
Can I Obtain Compensation for My Bicycling Accident Injuries?
A Davis bicycle accident lawyer can evaluate your case and determine what compensation you may be able to pursue. Generally speaking, when your bicycle crash is caused by the careless actions of another, compensation may be available to help you pay for medical bills, lost wages, ongoing treatment costs, and other losses attributable to the crash. Your ability to recover compensation will depend on:
- The quality and quantity of evidence available that proves the accident was caused by the negligence of another;
- Your own negligence in causing the crash and/or failing to seek appropriate medical treatment following your crash;
- Your compliance with the treatment instructions and directions of your doctor;
- The documentation supporting your losses and expenses and how easily each loss or expense can be causally connected to the bicycle crash.
Contact a Davis Bicycle Accident Attorney for Assistance
If you have been injured in a Davis bicycle crash, it is important that you seek legal representation as soon as possible. The sooner you retain experienced counsel, the sooner your lawyer can take action to protect your interests and begin seeking compensation on your behalf.
I’m Ed Smith, and I am a Davis bicycle accident attorney who has significant experience in helping injured bicyclists in California recover compensation for injuries they sustain in bicycle crashes. I will thoroughly investigate the reason or cause of your bicycle crash, including determining whether the motorist violated the 3-Foot-Law. Call my office, Edward A Smith Law Offices, for assistance today at (916) 921-6400.
We are members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a prestigious group of trial lawyers who have won multiple million dollar verdicts and settlements.
To view our past verdicts and settlements, click here.