Accident on 1st Avenue off-ramp May Have Involved Drunk Driver
A multiple-vehicle crash on a Chico off-ramp may have involved a drunk driver. The three-vehicle collision occurred off northbound S.R. 90 on the east 1st Avenue off-ramp around 8:19 p.m. The incident blocked the number one lane on the ramp, according to the accident report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
Multiple-Vehicle Crash Being Investigated
Officers reported that it appeared that one party involved in the collision had been drinking. A tow truck was called to remove a Kia Optima sedan. Currently, the CHP is investigating the multiple-vehicle collision to determine fault in the accident as well as the cause. It is unknown whether injuries occurred in the crash.
Multiple-Vehicle Crash on Highway Ramps
Highway ramps are common locations for accidents, especially a multiple-vehicle crash. Because highway ramps are often congested and have curves, narrow lanes and sometimes traffic stops at the end, accidents aren’t surprising. The most common reasons for collisions on the ramps themselves include:
- Speeding is a major cause of a multiple-vehicle crash on a highway ramp. Because the speeder cannot stop in time to avoid a collision, it easily involves other vehicles because of their close proximity.
- Attempting to change lanes while on a ramp can cause a sideswipe or other collision. Vehicles are often too tightly packed to change lanes safely.
- Distracted driving can cause a multiple-vehicle crash while traveling on a ramp. A motorist who is checking their GPS or texting takes their eyes from the roadway just long enough to cause a crash.
- Run-off-road collisions typically happen when a driver fails to negotiate a curve in the ramp and drives off the road. At times, it may strike another vehicle and both cars exit the roadway.
- Drunk driving is a major contributing factor to accidents on highway ramps, as intoxicated drivers may have difficulty negotiating the roadway and could veer into other vehicles.
- Fatigue can also be a factor in accidents on highway ramps, as tired drivers may have difficulty staying focused and could make mistakes while negotiating the complexity of some areas.
Investigating a Multiple Vehicle Crash on a Highway Ramp
An accident attorney can help you navigate the complex legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. When a collision occurs on a highway ramp, the first step is to determine which vehicle/vehicles were at fault. This can be done by looking at the evidence at the scene of the accident, such as skid marks, damage to the vehicles and witness statements.
Once fault has been determined, the next step is to calculate the damages. This includes medical bills, lost wages and damages for your pain and suffering.
Dealing With the At-Fault Party’s Insurance Company
Once liability has been established, the next step is to file a claim with the responsible party’s insurance company. The insurance company will then investigate the accident and determine whether or not to pay the claim. If the insurance company denies the claim, you may need to file a lawsuit to recover the damages you are owed.
A highway ramp collision can be a complex and stressful event. However, an experienced car accident lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and work hard to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Chico Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, and I’m a Chico personal injury lawyer. When injuries occur in a collision, you may benefit from a consultation with an accident lawyer. For free and friendly advice, phone us at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400. We also have an online contact form if you would rather get in touch with us that way.
Our membership in the following groups is an honor for us:
The following links provide information about the help our injury lawyers have provided to others:
Photo attribution: Image by Gianni Crestani from Pixabay
:cd llo [cs 673]