California Drivers Place Third Worst in the Nation
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer. A recent study released by a personal finance company showed that California held third place in the nation for having the worst drivers, tying with Missouri. The study, conducted in 2018, was performed by SmartAsset, which conducts an annual analysis of dangerous drivers. Hopefully, local drivers will use this information to make the road safer for everyone.
Last year’s analysis by the company placed California in 8th place as a state with drivers who were under par. This compared with California’s 17th position the previous year, where it didn’t even place in the top ten.
Criteria in the Study
The metrics used to evaluate the study consisted of four areas. These were:
- A driver’s record of DUIs.
- Percentage of drivers with auto insurance.
- The average number of traffic deaths versus the number of miles driven.
- The number of times state residents googled terms such as speeding tickets or traffic tickets.
Watch YouTube Video: California is 3rd-Worst Driving State. ABC10 reports on a study conducted by SmartAsset that shows California drivers are among the worst in the nation.
How the States Ranked
The state that ranked worst was Mississippi for the high number of fatalities per miles driven and a low number of drivers with car insurance. The lack of auto insurance means that those in a collision will end up paying out of pocket or having to use their own insurance to cover the damages. The second worst state was Tennessee with its low number of insured drivers and high number of DUIs. California made third place because of drunk drivers and uninsured drivers. However, the fatality rate for the number of road miles driven is fairly low, and the state came in 32nd on that list. Since California has been moving up on the list quickly in the past three years, authorities believe that further efforts might be needed to reduce the number of uninsured drivers and enforce DUI and traffic offense laws.
The Safest States
Massachusetts showed the highest percentage of licensed drivers, among the lowest number of DUI arrests and fatalities. This was followed by Vermont, Nebraska, and Connecticut.
How to Protect Yourself From Uninsured/Underinsured Drivers
Due to the high number of underinsured/uninsured drivers in California, it is important to have automobile insurance that covers this problem. In California, it is mandatory that insurers offer this type of coverage to motorists. If a driver rejects this offer, he or she must sign a waiver, freeing the insurance company from responsibility.
What Does Uninsured/Underinsured Auto Insurance Cover?
This coverage is divided into three separate parts. They are:
- Uninsured motorist injury: This provides limited coverage for your injuries when the at-fault driver does not have insurance. The amount of coverage is limited by the amount of liability coverage you carry. It covers injury to you or other occupants of your vehicle.
- Underinsured coverage: If the at-fault driver does not have sufficient coverage to pay for bodily injury, this covers it. Again, coverage is limited by the amount of liability insurance you have in your policy.
- Uninsured motorist property coverage: This coverage pays for damage to your vehicle when the at-fault driver has no or little insurance. The upper limit is $3,500. This insurance pays only if the identity of the at-fault driver is established.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer. Drivers who ignore traffic laws or drive drunk endanger others on the road. If you or a loved one was hurt by an at-fault driver, you have a right to compensation. This can help pay outstanding medical bills, recover compensation for lost time at work and for your pain and suffering. I am here to offer free and friendly advice for your situation when you call me at (916) 921-6400 or at my toll-free number (800) 404-5400.
Million Dollar Advocates was founded to recognize the top trial lawyers around the nation who have obtained a verdict or case settlement for a client in excess of $1 million. I belong as a member of California.
When you are searching for legal representation for your accident injury, it is a good idea to find out as much about a law firm as possible. You are welcome to look over my clients’ comments and reviews along with a list of some of our previous cases at the following links:
Photo by pixabay.com from Pexels
:cd cha [cs 772] cv