Sunrise Boulevard Crash Blocks Southbound Traffic
A big rig collision that resulted in a dangerous fuel leak occurred in Rancho Cordova on February 16. The accident happened on Sunrise Boulevard near Highway 16 at around 9:15 in the morning. According to authorities with the Rancho Cordova Police Department, all the lanes heading southbound on Sunrise Boulevard from Kiefer Boulevard were shut down due to the accident.
Clean Up Slows Reopening of Sunrise Boulevard Southbound
The big rig was reportedly involved in a collision with a pickup truck in Rancho Cordova and was discovered to be leaking fuel. The leak was upgraded to involve a hazardous material response. The time for reopening southbound Sunrise was estimated to be around 10:15 a.m., according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP). At the time of the reports, no information had been released on the number or severity of injuries that occurred in the crash.
Fuel Leaks in a Big Rig Collision
Big rig accidents are dangerous for a number of reasons. These can include underride accidents, rollovers, jackknifing, and others. Another reason a big rig collision is so dangerous is the possibility of a fuel leak. Some of the additional dangers associated with a fuel leak are:
- Explosions: Both gasoline and diesel fuel are linked to explosions, especially if the spill is a large amount. This can lead to a higher number of fatalities and life-threatening injuries. It can also affect surrounding homes or businesses in the immediate area.
- Fire: After a big rig collision accompanied by a fuel leak, the likelihood of fire is increased due to the flammable material. If passenger vehicles are involved in the crash, the occupants can suffer long-term injuries and burns.
- Environmental damage: The fuel can leak into water systems through storm drains. This can affect surrounding water supplied to homes, businesses, and livestock. In addition, a leak that seeps into the water can make it more difficult for the local wastewater treatment plant’s ability to clean sewage. Steps must be taken by the at-fault party to remediate this type of damage.
Injuries Related to a Big Rig Collision
Depending on the situation, various injuries can result from a big rig collision:
- Burns: If a fire or explosion occurs, it can result in serious burns. Burns often require extensive hospitalization with specialized care and surgical intervention.
- Scarring and disfigurement: The possibility of disfigurement/scarring escalates when an explosion or fire occurs. These lifelong injuries might be corrected with cosmetic surgery. However, most insurances do not cover this, leading to the need for a personal injury lawsuit to recover the damages to pay for it.
- Back injuries: The force of a big rig collision can lead to serious back injuries such as a herniated disc or torn muscles, ligaments, and tendons.
- Traumatic brain injuries: Injuries can range from a concussion to blood accumulating on or in the brain. While a concussion can heal within six months to two years, more serious trauma such as a brain hemorrhage can require surgical intervention.
Investigating the Accident
Big rig collisions require the accumulation of evidence to prove negligence. To accomplish this, we send our investigators to the scene of the accident. They start by examining the truck’s logs to see if the trucker and the trucking company complied with federal regulations and performed routine maintenance. They also speak with witnesses to the accident and obtain videos of the crash from traffic surveillance cameras.
The investigators also perform accident reconstruction techniques that will help determine liability. Once all this data has been gathered, they report the information to our legal team who use it to build a robust case for our client.
Sacramento Truck Accident Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, and I am a Sacramento truck accident lawyer. I’ve helped numerous Sacramento residents obtain the compensation they deserve in car accidents, truck crashes, and other traumas. Call me locally at (916) 921-6400 or on our long-distance line at (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice. Reach out to me in an online message form if that is more convenient.
I’m proud to be a member of the following organizations:
If you would like to learn more about my practice, go to the following pages:
Since 1982, my legal team and I have helped many residents of Rancho Cordova and other Northern Californians in getting compensation for their truck and other motor vehicle accidents, traumatic injuries, and wrongful deaths.
Attributed photo: https://pixabay.com/photos/truck-vehicle-transportation-system-3248746/
:cd llo [cs 767]