Bicycle Rider Injured on Florin Road
A bicycle rider was injured in the Florin area on June 6, sending the cyclist to a local hospital. The collision happened shortly before 4:30 in the afternoon along eastbound Florin Road and East Parkway when the rider was struck by a gray Honda Accord. According to records by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), this was the second accident occurring at that intersection on June 6. An earlier accident involved a pedestrian. Emergency medical services transported the bicycle rider for treatment and further evaluation of the injuries.
Bicycle accidents account for approximately 2 percent of all traffic crashes. This figure may be low since some crashes are not reported, and if an automobile is involved, insurance companies will label it a car accident. However, the total number of bicycle rider injuries has grown substantially in the past decade in California and nationwide.
Bicycle riding can be dangerous. Here are some statistics:
- The age of those killed in bicycle accidents has risen in the past decade and a half.
- 83 percent of those who died were male.
- 68 percent of fatal bicycle accidents occurred in cities.
- Either the driver or the bike rider was impaired in 30 percent of crashes.
- Most fatal crashes occur between 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.
Common Causes of Bicycle Rider Injury
The following are the most common causes of bicycle rider injury:
- 30 percent were hit by a motor vehicle.
- 17 percent fell from their bike.
- 13 percent of accidents were due to poorly maintained roads.
- 13 percent were due to an error by a bicycle rider.
- 7 percent were injured/killed in a single vehicle accident.
- 4 percent were hurt because a dog or child ran in front of the bicycle.
Driver Error Involved in a Bicycle Accident
Some of the most common examples of driver error are:
- Not focusing on what is happening around you
- Being distracted by talking or texting on a cell phone
- Aggressive driving
- Failing to obey the rules of the road
- Not following traffic signals
- Not yielding the right of way
How a Bicycle Rider Can Protect Themselves
There are things a bicycle rider can do to stay safe on the road. Some are listed below:
- Wear a helmet. This can protect you against a traumatic head injury.
- Learn traffic laws as they pertain to bicycles.
- Don’t drink and ride.
- Make sure motorists can see you.
Fault in a Bicycle Accident
Determining fault in a bicycle accident is the first step toward recovering damages. It is important to document every aspect of the accident when it happens. Obtaining contact information from anyone who was involved in or saw the accident is essential. Your injury lawyer will be able to gather information from the site of the collision, police reports, and video surveillance. Witnesses also provide invaluable information. Your lawyer will deal with the insurance in your stead and negotiate for a fair settlement. If this is not forthcoming, the attorney will prepare a case that can be taken to civil court.
Florin Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Florin car accident and personal injury lawyer. A bicycle injury caused by a negligent driver can cost you lost time at work, medical expenses, and unnecessary pain and suffering. However, when negligence was the cause of your injury, you are entitled to financial compensation. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for my free and friendly advice. You can also get in touch with me by using our contact form online.
I’ve helped Florin residents obtain compensation for their accident injuries since 1982. Included in my practice areas are wrongful deaths, pedestrian accidents, and all kinds of motor vehicle crashes.
You can discover more about my law practice by going to the following pages to see client reviews, and some cases my firm has handled:
I am honored to be a member of the Million Dollar Forum and the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. The first admits those trial lawyers who have won over $1 million for a client. The second group recognizes the small percentage of lawyers who display the highest excellence in their law practice.
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_187521286_l-2015
:cd llo [cs 712]