Bicycle Accident Fatally Injures Man Near South Modesto
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto wrongful death attorney. A man passed away when he was hit by a vehicle while riding his bicycle in south Modesto on July 19, 2018. At approximately 10:10 in the evening, a 57-year-old man was riding his bike westbound across South Seventh Street in the vicinity of Pecos Avenue when he was struck by an oncoming Toyota Sienna minivan. The Toyota reportedly struck the rider at approximately 25 mph, causing the man to be ejected off his bicycle and fall along the eastbound shoulder of the road. The man was transported by emergency personnel to a local hospital where he was later pronounced deceased. Officials have withheld his identity due to a pending family notification.
Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to those grieving the loss of their loved one during this difficult time.
Riding a bicycle is one of the best ways to foster a healthy lifestyle, save money on gasoline and decrease pollution. However, bicyclists should exercise additional precautions when they ride as they often share the road with other motorists, which can create a wide array of safety hazards. Following are statistics surrounding the incidence and consequences of bicycle accidents:
- While the use of bicycles for commuting to work has increased significantly in recent years, these rides only account for one percent of all trips within the nation. Bicyclists have a higher risk of accident-related injury and death than motor vehicle occupants due to their lack of physical protection (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention);
- Bicyclists who wear a helmet reduce their odds of a brain injury by 58 percent and head trauma by nearly 60 percent in an accident. In the event of an accident involving an unhelmeted cyclist, the results can prove fatal (according to the National Safety Council);
- Approximately 835 bicycle riders passed away in accidents with motor vehicles in 2016. This number represents the highest incidence of bicyclist fatalities since 1991 (according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety);
- One-fifth of the total number of bicycle accident fatalities reported in 2016 occurred between the nighttime hours of 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. The majority of bicyclists fatally injured were male with 84 percent and most male cyclists killed were between the ages of 55 to 59 (according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration).
Factors of a Bicycle Accident
The severity of a bicycle accident can vary on a number of factors that may or may not be within the control of the rider. These factors may include:
- The age and general health of a bicyclist, including any pre-existing conditions;
- The type of surface which a rider falls onto such as asphalt, grass, cement, etc.;
- Whether a rider was thrown off his or her bicycle or if he or she fell off the bicycle;
- Objects a bicyclist may have struck in addition to the ground like a pedestrian, road sign or another vehicle;
- How quickly medical aid was rendered to a bicyclist;
- The type and quality of protective equipment a rider was wearing at the time of an accident.
Injuries from a Bicycle Accident
Bicycle accidents often involve abrupt collisions which can leave a rider with serious injuries. These may include bone fractures, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damage, head trauma or even death in some extreme cases. When a bicycle accident was caused by a negligent driver or entity, that party can be held responsible for resulting losses like medical expenses, time lost from work, pain and suffering and other personal injury damages. In cases of wrongful death, costs of a funeral and burial, end-of-life medical expenses, lost inheritance, loss of consortium and other associated damages may be recovered. For additional information, contact an experienced attorney.
How a Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Help
When faced with the loss of a loved one due to wrongful death, discussing your options with an experienced wrongful death lawyer in Modesto can make the difference. A compassionate lawyer with years of experience can compile the facts and evidence of an accident to properly determine fault. By doing so, an attorney can help you understand what happened and who is responsible for your loved one’s death. Then a claim can be filed for wrongful death.
Modesto Wrongful Death Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto wrongful death attorney. A bicycle accident can result in severe injuries or the loss of a loved one due to the actions of a negligent driver. If you have lost someone you love due to a bicycle accident, I am here to provide you with compassionate, free and friendly advice on your situation. Contact me any time at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
Please feel free to browse my client feedback on:
The Million Dollar Advocates is a nationwide forum comprised of highly ranked trial attorneys who have acquired verdicts or settlements in excess of $1 million for their clients. I am proudly listed as a California member of this forum.
To learn how I resolved cases for my past clients, go to our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Photo Source: By “StockSnap” via Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons
:ds [cs 889] cv